1st gen 3SGE

Talk about the other Celica models

Postby pokemeintheeye » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:14 am

I've only began coming on here. I haven't had a reason in the past considering I've only just bought a turbo celica a month ago. I'm active around the nonturbo forums. Alltrac owners are familiar with turbo alltracs. It seems many don't bother to familiarize themselves with the nonturbo engines much. Can't blame them.

Not very many people do 3sge head swaps/5sfe block swaps cause really, if you're gonna do all that work might as well go all the way correct? So instead many people who have thought about a 3sge head swap just move right up to a 3sgte engine swap. The power gains from a 5sfe block with a 1st gen 3sge head isn't anything too exciting. So people who have done it seek more power. So they go turbo. Many Toyota tuners are secretive about their projects. So you don't notice people doing these swaps until one day they decide to sell parts of their project cause they're going a different route. If there were more Celica's with a stock 3sge engine I'm sure more people would do the block swap. 4th gen gt-s aren't that easy to find. A good condition one especially. Doing a head swap is already half way through a complete swap. Considering you would need to do some wiring, a 3sge ecu and those accesories like ignition coil, distributer and such. For the little power gain, its just not worth much for those with a 5th gen and 6th gen Celica. Its a good swap for those with a 4th gen though.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
pokemeintheeye
Club Member

Postby wizzards581 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:08 am

Rick89GTS wrote:
pokemeintheeye wrote:The block will have to be modified a little, but you can just swap the head from that 3sge onto your 5sfe block.....

Not that easy, it takes quite a bit of engineering for very little gain.
This guy did it, it looked like a success but then the motor started to self-destruct.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17078

looks like a sucess.. he said he beat a 94 prelude h23... :shrug: no problems he said...
-90 celica turbo All-Trac (sold)
-03 matrix XR
wizzards581
Established Member

Postby Mafix » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:27 pm

it looks like it works fine, but unless you have that crap laying around then why bother?
and for the record an h23 prelude is a dog.
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby dmhitt30 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:30 am

ive done it. ran 2 full race seaons on it turning 7500-7900 rpms every lap without a single engine problem. :smokes: no melt down for me :shock: wasn't that hard to do just like an engine build no big deal.
dmhitt30

Postby celicaGTS_T » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:24 pm

Wow, i totally forgot about this thread haha.... well i went a different route (as some might know: 3sfe instead of 3sge). nice smooth torque curve, good low end torque and you cant even tell its been swapped haha
celicaGTS_T
Club Member

Previous

Return to FWD Celica