HELP JUST DID 3sgte swap and having troubles

Talk about the other Celica models

Postby Carolina91GT-S » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:08 am

mgtcelica wrote:well i did try putting it in 2 wheel drive mode i think thats with the selector down right? i took the rear end gear out of the transfer case and blocked off the back of it with a custom machined plate of aluminum


FWD mode is with the lever all the way up. with the locking bolt in the bottom hole.

with the lever down it is in AWD mode and you won't go anywhere because the center diff is open.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Carolina91GT-S
Club Member
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:20 am
Location: NC

Postby Carolina91GT-S » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:21 am

evo wrote:http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11171

This is a good read. What I was suggesting was that he couldn't use the transmission without converting it to fwd, I wasn't aware that he had already attempted to


I have read that and I think it would be a viable option for anyone wishing to spend as much on parts as another tranny would cost. MR2 LSD, MR2 axles, Diff cover, shifter cables...seems like a lot.

There is a difference between what that thread describes by "converting" it and what he seems to be attempting to do which is using it "as is" except selecting the FWD(FF) mode and removing the pinion. is this what you are doing mgtcelica? I think this will work, plenty of people say it won't but I have never heard of anyone who could say why mechanically. Everyone falls back on the BGB says not to run this way, but the BGB never considers that you would have the entire rear drivetrain removed and not have the drag associated with it present and not driven.
Carolina91GT-S
Club Member
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:20 am
Location: NC

Postby mgtcelica » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:56 pm

ok thanks i definately think this will work and i'll probably do it next week or this weekend
User avatar
mgtcelica
Club Member
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Postby mgtcelica » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:42 am

OK GUYS HERES THE DEAL

i'm going to tell you what i learned tonight and i want you to give me the green light

ok, i pulled the motor, tranny and center diff out and appart

what broke is the aluminum locking mecinism that makes the car run in 2 wheel drive "for towing"...
ok now i know why it couldnt handle any torque

ok but heres the deal, if i take that diff, since i found out that i cant put in the camry axle since the tranny has a different main diff

ok i wanted to get my friend who is a professional welder. to permenently lock the center diff, by welding all of the parts of the diff together therefor making it like one big axle

GIVE ME THE GREEN LIGHT
User avatar
mgtcelica
Club Member
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Postby syko says » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:29 am

IMHO; get a 5SFE tranny in there. Do it right the first time around :wink:
Aloha,
Evan

RedCelicaTRD wrote:I've got my eye on you wise guy :|
User avatar
syko says
Established Member
 
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:27 pm
Location: Waipahu, Hawaii

Postby swapd3s » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:11 pm

That FF lever is only for testing and towing. Your best bet would be the Solara Transmission. It's much more durable than the s54 but has slightly worse gear ratios. The mr2 tranny is too much work, here's a thread about it.


http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32626&hl=

The high idle could be from a bad vacuum leak, but usually the idle will go up and down. There is an adjuster on the front of the throttle body you can turn with a flat head to turn the idle up or down.
swapd3s
Club Member
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:52 pm
Location: Dublin, Oh

Re: HELP JUST DID 3sgte swap and having troubles

Postby Nightfire » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:18 pm

mgtcelica wrote:Hi i just finished getting my Jdm 3sgte that i got from a 92 celica alltrac
installed in my 93 gt celica

ok heres the problems
it idols at 1900 rpms im not quite sure if thats bad or if its cuz of my power steering vaccume line sensors that arent hooked up.

OK but the real problem is
if i floor the gas or jsut give it more than 1/2 throttle as soon as the engine revs to 3500 the check engine light comes on and the engines kinda dies for a second but doesnt stall just kinda sputters

but heres the part that confuses me, if i give the car less than 1/2 throttle and jsut let the engine slowly rev up. it doesnt sputter or stall

PLEASE PLEASE HELP

im kinda lost heree


Hi, I'm thinking about doing a JDM swap and was wondering if there is any modifications that need to be done because of the right hand drive, to the engine, engine bay, or tranny(if I stay with a manual AWD)? I emailed one of the places that was recommended here to buy the engine from about this and they said they weren't positive if any mods would have to be done (makes me wonder why they were recommended).
User avatar
Nightfire
Club Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Jacksonville, NC

i've done it so this is whats up

Postby mgtcelica » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:44 pm

Ok

if your trying to swap a Jdm alltrac motor and tranny into your usdm celica gt heres the way its done

First you are going to need to remove the ring gear from the center diff, you know the thing that goes to the rear end. and plate that off. dont worry it works. BUT DONT PUT THE DIFF IN 2WD mode leave it in all wheel. but this way you will only need your 2 front wheels and axles. thats the axles from an alltrac. they fit .

next get a new cross member that goes under the engine. the gt one isnt shaped right for that motor
dont worry it bolts right up to your car.

then you need to extend your 3sgte's engine harness about 4 feet. it isnt really hard just remember to take your time. i soldered all my connections and i would sugest you do the same

you need the 3sgte ecu but it probably comes with your motor. the only thing else wireing wise is the fuel pump wire needs repinned to work with the gt
^^^^^ big deal ^^^^^ this took me about 3 weeks to figure out

ok now you need a new fuel pump. one that gives you what the turbo engine needs. i got one with the motor i got

make sure you get an AFM with your motor those are hard to find and a pain in the ass to get. about $300 from the dealer and about $100 on ebay..

other than that i cant off the top of my head think of any thing else

OHHH yeah the hood... if your leaving the top mount intercooler on you need a hood scoop. i got one off of a friend of mine who had an extra from his STI but you can use any kind of scoop or the alltrac scoop just get air to that intercooler

OK THATS THE SWAP. IT TOOK ME ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF TO FIGURE ALL THIS OUT SO HERE YOU GO.
User avatar
mgtcelica
Club Member
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Postby mgtcelica » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:45 pm

and make sure you get new exhaust.. the stock exhaust wont work either
User avatar
mgtcelica
Club Member
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: i've done it so this is whats up

Postby Nightfire » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:02 am

mgtcelica wrote:Ok

if your trying to swap a Jdm alltrac motor and tranny into your usdm celica gt heres the way its done

First you are going to need to remove the ring gear from the center diff, you know the thing that goes to the rear end. and plate that off. dont worry it works. BUT DONT PUT THE DIFF IN 2WD mode leave it in all wheel. but this way you will only need your 2 front wheels and axles. thats the axles from an alltrac. they fit .

next get a new cross member that goes under the engine. the gt one isnt shaped right for that motor
dont worry it bolts right up to your car.

then you need to extend your 3sgte's engine harness about 4 feet. it isnt really hard just remember to take your time. i soldered all my connections and i would sugest you do the same

you need the 3sgte ecu but it probably comes with your motor. the only thing else wireing wise is the fuel pump wire needs repinned to work with the gt
^^^^^ big deal ^^^^^ this took me about 3 weeks to figure out

ok now you need a new fuel pump. one that gives you what the turbo engine needs. i got one with the motor i got

make sure you get an AFM with your motor those are hard to find and a pain in the ass to get. about $300 from the dealer and about $100 on ebay..

other than that i cant off the top of my head think of any thing else

OHHH yeah the hood... if your leaving the top mount intercooler on you need a hood scoop. i got one off of a friend of mine who had an extra from his STI but you can use any kind of scoop or the alltrac scoop just get air to that intercooler

OK THATS THE SWAP. IT TOOK ME ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF TO FIGURE ALL THIS OUT SO HERE YOU GO.


Thanks, I'm actually going from a JDM alltrac to a USDM alltrac.
User avatar
Nightfire
Club Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Jacksonville, NC

Postby mgtcelica » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:13 am

oh then all you should need to do is extend the wiring harness
User avatar
mgtcelica
Club Member
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Postby Nightfire » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:15 am

mgtcelica wrote:oh then all you should need to do is extend the wiring harness


Thanks!
User avatar
Nightfire
Club Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Jacksonville, NC

Postby C.R.3.A.M » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:51 pm

ive been doing a 3sgte swap into my fwd celica and i put a camry v6 tranny the tranny fit great but the only prob are the axle shaft...maybe you can try this!!!!
C.R.3.A.M
Club Member
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:46 am
Location: in my car

Postby mgtcelica » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:41 pm

my tranny set up works great
User avatar
mgtcelica
Club Member
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Postby celicast184 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:01 pm

C.R.3.A.M wrote:ive been doing a 3sgte swap into my fwd celica and i put a camry v6 tranny the tranny fit great but the only prob are the axle shaft...maybe you can try this!!!!
i did the st215 swap with the camry v6 transmission and it fits great. the only modification i had to do was rear motor mount. as for the axle shafts, i used the inner shafts from an mr2 turbo without lsd and the outer axle shafts of an alltrac. they work great.
User avatar
celicast184
Club Member
 
Posts: 732
Images: 0
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:05 pm

PreviousNext

Return to FWD Celica

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest