5sfe engine build up and possible turbo

A

Anonymous

hey i was just wondering if any of you guys have a 5sfe 90' celica gt-s and if so have you built it up or just done a 3sgte swap? if you have done a build up id like to know of some good places to find internals and what not. Thanks for the help

syko says

This is a common question that people on here like to ask when someone is building an engine (well everyone should ask themselves this)

What are your goals for the engine?

A

Anonymous

well im hoping to make it a good car for auto cross or something along those lines. so quick get up and go.

Sifu

You'll have better luck over at the other Celica forums. Most of us have Alltracs.

It can be done but it's usually not a smart route boosting a 5sfe. It's one of Toyota's best engines when it comes to reliability but add turbo into that equation and things usually go boom.

For the cost of a 3sgte it's still MUCH easier to swap out the engine and plus the aftermarket support (which is small for our community) is still larger than the 5sfe crowd.

Also if you're wanting to AX then the Celcia GTS would be better suited than a swapped 3sgte. You will get handed when they bump you up classes...

darthripley

moved to turbo fwd.

there is a ton of info regarding 5sfe N/A builds and turbo 5sfe builds on celicatech as well as mr2oc

if you're interested in the turbo route check out pressure2 - he is one of the few who have successfully boosted a 5sfe without the kaboom.

personally for auto-x i would go a mild N/A route so you can stay in a class where your car will be more competitive as opposed to facing off in a class with vettes etc.

GMan

> darthripley
> Location: dallas, tx
> Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:20 pm
> there is a ton of info regarding 5sfe N/A builds and turbo 5sfe builds on
> celicatech as well as mr2oc

I follow www.6gc.net
6th gen celicas.

> if you're interested in the turbo route check out pressure2 -
> he is one of the few who have successfully boosted a 5sfe without the > kaboom.

You'll find pressure 2 on 6gc.net :D
I got a ride in his car. Damn fast for what it is.
Less weight and more Torque than a 3sgte.

If you are after all out power, the 3sgte is probably better in the Long run.
The 5SFTE does ok, on a budget. If done right, it can be Very reliable.

Regards;

darthripley

^ correct on 6gc.net - i didn't even think of that earlier :doh:

the torque numbers are very impressive indeed ... most impressive of all is the longevity & reliability of pressure2's build in my mind.