e153 tranny

monny3571

I have a 94 st with a swapped 3sgte in it and I have just a 5sfe tranny right now and I keep braking axels... so weighing my options in converting the awd or the mr2 trannies i think im gonna go with a mr2 tranny...so for the axels... do the different year trannies have different axels for mr2's? i know depending on if i get lsd or not i need different axels but im just wondering about the years... and since i have a 94 do i need axels from a st205 for the outter part or will st185 axels work with my car?

your other option for transmissions could be a e-153 from a camry V6/ solara V6. This transmission is already setup for fwd. As for axles, mr2 turbo inners, alltrac outers. im not to sure if it matters if you use st185 or st205 outer axles, they should be the same though (correct me if im wrong). Also, your car is a ST, but you managed to get the 5sfe axles to work with the hubs. You shouldn't have a problem fitting the st185, st205 outer axles. The inner axles matters too if the transmission comes equipped with lsd. if thats the case, mr2 turbo inner lsd axles.

MrMcQuacker

hey i have a question. Im on the similar project. im swapping a 2gen 3sgte into my 1986 celica gts, and im having starter problems. that the starter from the camery tranny 5sfe isnt reaching my flywheel. what has to be done or whats going on. i hear people using the v4 camry trannys and etc. or in otherwords a 87-91 camry trannys work i was told but im having trouble with the starters not reaching the fwheel.

first off, what transmission are you using? i belive the 86 celica gts comes with the 3sge right? or is it the 2se? well, either way, the transmissions from those should bolt up and work too. if you are using the e153, from the camry, you shouldn't have a problem using the 5sfe starter. have you tried using the starter from the 88-93 celica alltrac? im using the starter from my stock 5sfe and it works fine. maybe you could try using the starters from 90 and up celicas with either 5sfe, 3sfe, 3sge. they should work. btw, my starter is from 1991 celica gts.

MrMcQuacker

Nvm i found out the problem. It wasnt that the starter was bad or anything, Its that instead of me using my 3sge flywheel and clutch i didnt know that by doing that it created a problem of the starter not reaching the flywheel. So what we did was use the surbo Flywheel and presure plate and just used my 3sge disk. and Tah Da.... i didnt know but it works out fine for now.

crhinard

Im also currently doing a 3s swap with a MR2 tranny. 6gc.com has an 11 page write up on the things needed. Its very informative. If you need i can also find a link for you. I don't think you need to be a member to view that thread.

smc252

pintocrazy32":3piq16ml said:
so would the v6 camry/solara e153 tranny be a direct drop in on a 5sfe? Or would i need more parts for it to work?

It is a drop in, and I happen to have a rebuilt one just sitting in my garage. I modded my stock tranny to work, but it was kind of a pain in the ass in the end.