ST185 3S-GTE into ST182

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

Due to my poor ST165 rotting and falling apart round my ears I am thinking of ideas to move on. I've been offered a cheap ST182 with a blown engine and am considering putting the ST185 engine from my car into the ST182 to use for a while until I save up and get a good ST185 or ST205.

My main concern for the conversion is the wiring loom and ECU. Can anybody tell me how straight forward this will be. I already have two ST185 ECU's, and wonder if I got the loom to match the ECU will this pretty much plumb easily into the ST182 dashboard loom etc.

Just to clarify, I want a 182 with 185 ECU/Loom/Engine. How feasible?

I also gather that the 3S-GE manual box will mate up to the 3S-GTE but have heard that the input shaft is different so I will have to uset the 3S-GE clutch and not the 3S-GTE, is this true? My other option is to get an MR2 gearbox and use that which may be easier as I also think the starter motor is pm the wrong side on the 3S-GE box?

Any help and advice would be gratefully received!! There seems to be a distinct lack of information on this and I know there are people who have done this a few times.. :)

3sgte@daspeedof

I'm planing the same swap. But I am trying to put a 1st gen 3sgte into a 5th gen celica gts. What I was planning on was a 2nd gen ecu, and a 2nd gen wiring harness. Now I know that the 1st gen doesn't have as much sensors as the 2nd gen 3s. Can and the ones that don't match up I'm thinking that I can splice in with another connector. Any info would be appreachiated.

A

Anonymous

3sgte@daspeedof":2vqdip15 said:
I'm planing the same swap. But I am trying to put a 1st gen 3sgte into a 5th gen celica gts. What I was planning on was a 2nd gen ecu, and a 2nd gen wiring harness. Now I know that the 1st gen doesn't have as much sensors as the 2nd gen 3s. Can and the ones that don't match up I'm thinking that I can splice in with another connector. Any info would be appreachiated.

The 2nd gen has no more sensors than a 1st gen engine. You will either need to change some of the plugs on the loom or use some 2nd gen sensors. Using the 2nd gen sensors would be a much better idea if you're using a 2nd gen ECU as the 1st gen sensors might not send back the correct signals.

I've seen (and done myself) a 2nd gen engine on a 1st gen loom and ECU, but never the other way round. I'm not sure it will work too well to be honest, my 2nd gen engine with a 1st gen ECU worked OK, but far from ideal.

Good luck with the swap, unfortunately there is quite a lack of information around for this kind of thing :(