Noises

SeanGTS

I have a Mr2 turbo E-153 transmission in my car, it has a LSD unit installed, most likely a TRD LSD. I am unaware if this is a clutch type LSD, or the other kind of LSD. The car is equipped with a Spec Stage 2 clutch, and a fidanza, the transmission is supposed to be a 93, but im still unsure of this.

Im getting some REALLY bad dragging, clicking, dragging noises. The noises are a lot worse when the car is warmed up, and driven for a bit. It also APPEARS that the noise is changed when the suspension is moving. In 1st gear, walking the clutch out, if i hold it right on the engagement point, i can fill a shutter, as well as a constant clicking, that occurs every quarter of a second or so. With the clutch out, in 1-3 gears, there is a gurgling, dragging, grinding noise, it is most apparent in LOW RPMS.

The T.O. bearing is new, the clutch is new, the axels are new. All i can think of is the LSD is bad, im so frusterated, what else could it be?

SeanGTS

When driving on the freeway, there are no noises, theres also nothing when the car is in neutral, and with the clutch all the way in......

SeanGTS

After rereading this, ive decided that im a big vag, and that I whine a lot. Thank you for putting up with me guys :doh: :doh:

SeanGTS

Yeah, i figured that much. But, what would cause a clicking when the axels arent moving, and the clutch is held halfway out?

alltracman78

Maybe something is a little off kilter inside, so that it rubs a bit when the pressure plate is partly off the clutch. Or maybe the clip that holds the throwout bearing? :shrug:

silverarrow

I know that clutch type LSD's do click when turning, but not sure in your case whether it's when the clutch is engaging/disengaging. Probably it is your LSD. Aftermarket LSDs do click and jerk.

SeanGTS

Thinking... thinking... remembering... I am missing two bolts that go in the inspection plate that covers the bottom half of the bellhousing. Under a load, with the clutch going out, im going to bet my money that its vibrating back and forth and hitting the bellhousing, causing my clicking.

I will update you guys as soon as i drop the crossmember, and check this out. I really hope this corrects a lot of the noise!

Thank you for your patience and wisdom alltrac crew, you guys rock. :wink: