Question on smogging ST205 engine

PhilipK

I have a 1994 Celica GT with an ST205 engine installed. My question is if I do the following can I get a CARB sticker. Replace the ST205 block with a CA MR2 block that is 1994 or above, put the EGR on, have both catalytic converter installed, and leave everything else stock.

i dont think its going to work. the key component is the egr system. by switching the engine block, it would not make a difference since the egr is linked from cylinder head to intake manifold. a smog legal swap should of been from a 2nd gen 3sgte in an celica alltrac. make everything run as stock as can be to an alltrac and you will have a smog legal celica.

ct27gt

smog hook up, money under the table, or relatives out of state is the only way you can have a 3rd gen engine in your car. Welcome to CA! Just assuming

Smaay

to answer your question, all you need is the MR2 head and the EGR system. and yes the CAT and exhaust. basically if you have everything that looks stock you will be fine. just have no connectors unplugged.

alltrac.net

I'm going to move this to the FAQ section, because this is an issue that needs to be further investigated. After seeing the ST205 engine installed in the ST185, I was amazed to find that the "holes" for the EGR valve were still there. They were just not drilled out.

I can almost bet that someone has already smogged an ST205 engine in California, but if not, it should not be as hard as it seems.

There are some factors that you have to consider, when it comes to smog:

- Good idea to have the airbox, if possible. If not, install an HKS intake, which is smog legal for ST165/ST185
- You have to have an EGR setup, even if it doesn't work. Just install a setup so that it looks like you have an EGR
- The ST205 doesn't have an EGR, but it has the spots where it is supposed to go. So you can in fact put a fake EGR or even go a step further and drill out the head/manifold to make the EGR setup functional
- The EGR valve may have trouble clearing with the ST205 W/A intercooler. You may want to attempt to run an ST185/ST165 IC just to fool the smog police.
- You can't see the EGR valve mounting to the head, under the IC, so you can get away with the EGR not being hooked up.
- AWD cars do not have to smog on a dyno. So the EGR doesn't have to work, it just has to be present.
- Some smog places are trained to do a vacuum test on the EGR. This will fail you if it is "fake". If that is the case, find another smog shop. There are tons out there, and 80% of them do not do the vacuum test.

I have experience with this, because my old ST165 had a JDM head with no EGR port. The EGR was attached to the intake manifold, but not to the head. The IC covered this from view, so it passed no problem.