'94 SW20 US Market 3SGTE in '88 Celica GT?

jonstew

I think the engine in my poor ole '88 Celica GT may have met it's maker. Before I go to the junk yard for a 3SFE bottom end I wanted find out if since I have a complete "spare" 3SGTE from a '94 MR2 Turbo sitting in my garage (I was going to use it as a core for rebuild) what it would take to get this in my Celica and end up with something that is a "little" faster in the process. I have the wiring harness, ECU, AFM, well basically everything since I bought it from a guy that put a 3rd Gen in the back of his MR2 and I took all the parts he removed. How big of a wiring nightmare is this? Has anyone been down this road before? my car has a manual transmission so I know the engine will mate up to it, really getting the engine in car is not my concern it's getting it to run that is my concern, I'm just trying to explore the avenues I have open to me, I also have a '90 ST185 sitting in the garage that can give up some of her parts for this since most of what I would need to remove will be replaced when the built engine goes in her. Thanks for any help or for pointing me in a direction where I can get more info on this.

~John Stewart
'90 ST185
'88 ST162

Mafix

i know someone who is doing this swap...all i got to say is good luck. therre is a lot of wiring that you'll have to do

jonstew

Sounds like I may be off to the junk yard to get a used bottom end for my worn out old engine. How far is the person you know thru doing this swap? What kind of wiring hassel's are they having with getting this engine running? Any chance you have any contact info for them?

~John Stewart
'90 ST185
'88 ST162
'02 Tacoma (the only one that runs)

illGT4

I knew someone who put a 3S in their FWD ST16X (GT)

Let's just say it was fast.

Get the entire wiring loom and ECU from an alltrac, along with sensors, and the job is MUCH easier.

Very quick car.

jonstew

Basically I would be using the wiring harness from my '90 ST185 along with the intake parts, fuel pump, and anything else I would need as most of the parts I would be pulling would get replaced when the new engine goes in the ST185 along with a stand alone ECU. However my concerns are are that since this engine came out of a '94 MR2 T that the wiring harness from a '90 ST185 would be different since after '92 the ST185 harness changed (the Toyota dealer had different part numbers for '90, '91 than '92 '93) so I am wondering if it will even work to use the harness in my ST185 on a '94 3SGTE engine. I would bet if I could do it that car would stupid fast but I have a ridiculously expensive project going now with ST185 and I don't need another "why do I seem to like the most expensive sars in the world to modify" project that eats money faster than a wife. :roll: