how often do I need to bleed my stock brakes?

All of the information you need in one place.

Postby pepper » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:27 am

TomsGT4 wrote:Isn't the 165's ABS actuator in the rear?

Yes, hence the need to bleed the 165 from the front first. Although without ABS you'd bleed the rears first.

The 185 acutator is in engine compartment front right, where the cruise control unit is on the 165. So you would bleed the rears first on the 185.

-Mike
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Mike
'88 ST165
Vancouver, WA USA ------------------------------ mine
pepper
Club Member

Postby Chai » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:06 pm

This is an old post but I got a question. If I was to change my brake fluid from DOT 4 to I don't know DOT 5 would I still just keep bleeding and toping it off? I heard that it is not good to mix different grades of brake fluids.
Chai
ST-185
"Man can hold the world in his palm if he first learns how to unclench his fist."
Chai
Club Member

Postby pepper » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:40 pm

Chai wrote:This is an old post but I got a question. If I was to change my brake fluid from DOT 4 to I don't know DOT 5 would I still just keep bleeding and toping it off? I heard that it is not good to mix different grades of brake fluids.

No, you don't want to mix grades but, except for DOT 5, this is because mixing gives you a lower boiling point than the new fluid has. DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are all chemically compatible so there's no other harm done by mixing. You just need to flush all the old stuff out and you do that by just repeatedly doing the normal bleeding process. Normally your old fluid will have turned brownish and the new stuff is completely clear, so it's just a matter of bleeding each wheel until nothing but clear comes out.

A pressure bleeder works well for this, but it can be done by the old pump the pedal method. I've mentioned this before, but I found this tool to be some of the best bucks I've ever spent: http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html I got the "Pro" kit since I work on a few other cars besides the alltrac. Since I got it, I've been flushing and changing my brake fluid regularly, and it makes it easy to do right before a track day, for example.

One final note: Although there's some debate on the matter, the general consensus seems to be that DOT 5 is not good to use, unless the system is designed from the beginning to use it. (A search online will bring up lots on the debate.) So if you wanted to go better than DOT 4 go to DOT 5.1.

-Mike
Mike
'88 ST165
Vancouver, WA USA ------------------------------ mine
pepper
Club Member

Postby //Zee-Roh// » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:29 am

This reminds me of the whole windows 3.1 3.11 4.0 etc... Isn't the bigger the number, the better LOL...

I can use 5.1 in my car, but not 5?
'88 All-trac ST165
-Joel
//Zee-Roh//
Club Member

Previous

Return to FAQ / Archive