wast gate not working?

AWDrifter

my cars boost gage will hit 15 psi wen i hit the gas all the way, i think the wast gate is not working right. any ideas?. there also is a cuple of vacume leaks to, that would just make the boost go down so i dont know whats going on :(

db

Does your car have a boost controller on it? Did you buy from someone who might have installed one? Or is this a recent problem.

98RACE

AWDrifter":1bkb1ini said:
there also is a cuple of vacume leaks to, that would just make the boost go down so i dont know whats going on :(

Not if its a vac leak to your wast gate actuator!!!!!!!!!! If there is a leak there then not your waste gate is not working because it no being told to work.

Fix the vac leaks!!!!!

DangerViking

98RACE":161fz23a said:
Not if its a vac leak to your wast gate actuator!!!!!!!!!! If there is a leak there then not your waste gate is not working because it no being told to work.

Fix the vac leaks!!!!!

+1

If pressure isn't going to the wastegate actuator, it won't open (or won't open fully anyway), and you'll overboost. Also, if the actuator itself isn't working properly (i.e. not opening at right pressure, or siezed/blocked somehow) then you'll get the same thing. There are details in the BGB on testing your wg.

90ST185-Pg-165.png

#3 under inspecting actuator operation.

If your wastegate is opening properly, and you don't have any vacuum leaks to the wastegate (also double and triple check any boost controller you may have hooked up), and you have better than stock exhaust, you're probably experiencing boost creep. There's just so much exhaust coming out that not enough can make it through the wg. In that case, porting the wastegate is probably a good option (and not that hard if you have the time and patience, and enough experience to pull the turbo out). Good luck!

AWDrifter

well the car did have an old school HKS evc, but it is disconected. and so i put the hose from the turbo housing and put it to the wast gate. so i dont know whats going on? :cry: