trouble shooting stock boost gauge....

1992celica

Last night while driving home i noticed my stock boost gauge stop moving...what could be the problem? The needle moves when i start the car...but when im boosting it doesn't go anywhere. Anyone know what could be the problem?

Stubble

You could have a problem with the Turbo Boost Sensor (mounted on the firewall), or with the wiring. I suspect that the former owner might have had a fuel cut defeat installed, and this is either messing with the signal or if he removed it, the wiring may not have been properly reattached.

I will also suggest that you don't bother worrying about the stock gauge. It really tells you nothing, is slow to react, and shouldn't be used to diagnose anything on your car. Get yourself an aftermarket gauge - any kind is better than the stock one.

//Zee-Roh//

No doubt...ditch that POS boost gauge and get an aftermarket one. No use fixing something that doesn't even work well/right to begin with. Just my .02

Gary

First thing to check is to see if the vacuum line from the turbo pressure sensor came loose. Trace that back to the vacuum port on the left side of the manifold. (facing the car). But like everyone else said, get an aftermarket one ASAP.

Gary

Not much difference. You'll have less risk of vacuum leak and easier to wire the electronic one. However, I have never seen anyone having leak on the mechanical gauge nor anyone complain about routing that nylon (or rubber) tube through the firewall. The mechanical is also cheaper. And unlike oil pressure gauge, if it ever leaks, it's just air coming out or being sucked in. No hot oil.

//Zee-Roh//

My gauge start to finish took about 2 hrs with some pretty lame roadblocks (NPT fittings that worked etc.) It's not that cumbersome...and definately one of the best "mods" you can do for your car (in terms of safety). I bought my gauge at NAPA for 40 bucks cause my 20 dollar twos 'r' us one didn't work (grumble grumble grumble).