The truth about ST215 3sgte engine

All of the information you need in one place.

Re: The truth about ST215 3sgte engine

Postby Killtodie » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:11 pm

and how much does harness work run? $800-1,500?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
1988 Chrysler Conquest
As seen on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIY4wuwc8XA
1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac
Killtodie
Club Member

Postby CSAlltrac » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:03 pm

ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby Killtodie » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:40 pm

CSAlltrac wrote:http://www.wiregapinc.com/

Thanks
Harness work aint cheap. Good thing my friend makes them :P
1988 Chrysler Conquest
Killtodie
Club Member

Postby GT4times2 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:05 pm

Killtodie wrote:
CSAlltrac wrote:http://www.wiregapinc.com/

Thanks
Harness work aint cheap. Good thing my friend makes them :P

You're right about harness work not being cheap, but with what Doug charges, you can't beat it. It's the time and added peace of mind you can't beat.

Do you or your friend have the diagram for each harness and know what you'll do from there? Please share with us how it goes. I'd like to hear about your DIY experience. I think Dr. Tweak made them too. I think his prices were $650 and up. Double check.

And you're right CSAlltrac, the hood did not close when I put the top mount I/C. I already had the FMIC installed, so the Top mount was not meant to stay. I have to do my piping (and powder coating) now.
Frantz
12 Toyota Sienna LE (The Daily Pacifier)
05 Toyota Avalon XLS
90 ST185 Gen4
88 ST165 Gen3-The works
89 ST165 Gen4-on the way
+ Many other projects, under covers....
GT4times2
Established Member

Postby aus jd 2703 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:51 am

what are people doing for a throttle cable with the caldina manifold?
aus jd 2703
Established Member

Postby CSAlltrac » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:23 am

aus jd 2703 wrote:what are people doing for a throttle cable with the caldina manifold?

I plan on using my stock cable. Its only a mile long so I think there will be no issues.
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby Killtodie » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:51 pm

GT4times2 wrote:Do you or your friend have the diagram for each harness and know what you'll do from there? Please share with us how it goes. I'd like to hear about your DIY experience. I think Dr. Tweak made them too. I think his prices were $650 and up. Double check..

my buddy has made a few harnesses from scratch for one of the teams that competes in Final Bout.
He has wired tucked all his cars, he's building a harness for my friends 1JZ swap, and one for me for the same swap.
I'm sure he has the capabilities to make me a harness for an ST215 swap as well.
1988 Chrysler Conquest
Killtodie
Club Member

Postby GT4times2 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:32 pm

Killtodie wrote:
GT4times2 wrote:Do you or your friend have the diagram for each harness and know what you'll do from there? Please share with us how it goes. I'd like to hear about your DIY experience. I think Dr. Tweak made them too. I think his prices were $650 and up. Double check..

my buddy has made a few harnesses from scratch for one of the teams that competes in Final Bout.
He has wired tucked all his cars, he's building a harness for my friends 1JZ swap, and one for me for the same swap.
I'm sure he has the capabilities to make me a harness for an ST215 swap as well.

I'm not doubting your friend and his abilities. Just asking you to share the end results of your/his work. That's all. Take it easy buddy. Not doubting you. We share on this forum. This is not your typical ego filled nay sayers forum. This thread started with you wanting info. We provided you with some. When you start your project, go to the Projects section and share pics and findings. Like others have done. All I said and stick by, is that without proper preparations, you'll have a hard time completing your swap in 3 days. Not saying it's impossible. But it will take having everything ready before starting it and getting it done in 3 days or less. Best of Luck man.
Frantz
12 Toyota Sienna LE (The Daily Pacifier)
05 Toyota Avalon XLS
90 ST185 Gen4
88 ST165 Gen3-The works
89 ST165 Gen4-on the way
+ Many other projects, under covers....
GT4times2
Established Member

Postby Killtodie » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:28 pm

GT4times2 wrote:I'm not doubting your friend and his abilities. Just asking you to share the end results of your/his work. That's all. Take it easy buddy. Not doubting you. We share on this forum. This is not your typical ego filled nay sayers forum. This thread started with you wanting info. We provided you with some. When you start your project, go to the Projects section and share pics and findings. Like others have done. All I said and stick by, is that without proper preparations, you'll have a hard time completing your swap in 3 days. Not saying it's impossible. But it will take having everything ready before starting it and getting it done in 3 days or less. Best of Luck man.

I dont have pics, and he doenst post online much.

The only thing I need done in 3 days is the engine in the car, and the car able to move on its own power out of the driveway, and around the corner.

If I can bench start the engine, I can get it running inside the car to just move it.

at the point where I am, this project is getting shelved till summer, or whenever. I need to put all my resources into finishing my 1JZ swap, and after that is done, I'll go back to the all trac
1988 Chrysler Conquest
Killtodie
Club Member

Postby All-TracDreams » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:14 am

I was thinking about the clearance issue with Gen4 TMICs in ST185s today, and was wondering if anyone has tried using hood spacers as an alternative to cutting the bracing? I know it's not the prettiest option, but also much less permanent. See photos below for reference (courtesy of PartsShopMAX). Hope you guys can forgive me for injecting some of my prior Nissan S-chassis influence into the world of Celicas...I guess you can take a guy out of the poorhouse, but not the poorhouse out of a guy! :smokes:

All-TracDreams
Club Member

Postby Awesome-Trac » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:40 am

All-tracDreams wrote:I was thinking about the clearance issue with Gen4 TMICs in ST185s today, and was wondering if anyone has tried using hood spacers as an alternative to cutting the bracing? I know it's not the prettiest option, but also much less permanent. See photos below for reference (courtesy of PartsShopMAX). Hope you guys can forgive me for injecting some of my prior Nissan S-chassis influence into the world of Celicas...I guess you can take a guy out of the poorhouse, but not the poorhouse out of a guy! :smokes:

I haven't used these particular spacers but I used old shifter bushings to prop my hood up just for venting the heat out alittle better. Btw I drive a ST165 so you know it's bad with cooling
-1988 Celica Alltrac (white) Sold
-1988 Celica Alltrac (black) new project
-1990 Corolla sedan (sky blue) totalled by my brother :(
-1990 Celica GT-S hatchback (sky blue) daily driver

•Daniel
Awesome-Trac
Established Member

Postby MWP » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:19 pm

Awesome-Trac wrote:I haven't used these particular spacers but I used old shifter bushings to prop my hood up just for venting the heat out alittle better. Btw I drive a ST165 so you know it's bad with cooling

Rear edge of the hood / bottom of the windscreen is actually a high air pressure zone.
Very very little air will vent there. Actually, it might even be the opposite, air will blow back into the engine bay.
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member

Postby TRDTurko » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:41 pm

do you know if the moroso oil pan will fit the 4th gen? looks a bit different to me from the pics. or does the 4th gen have better oil pan from the factory to eliminate the oil starvation issues from hard cornering?
88 Celica GTS - RIP
87 Corolla - RIP(sold for parts)
93 Honda Civic - RIP
88 Celica AWD Turbo - Current Project "Racetrac"
85 Honda Civic - Sold
91 Honda Civic - Sold to ice racer
08 Mazda 3 - Daily
88 Celica Alltrac - RIP(sold then writen off)
TRDTurko
Club Member

Postby aus jd 2703 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:20 pm

gen 3-4 are very similar in oiling. yes you could make a moroso pan work, but you would have to swap oil coolers make custom lines etc and in all honesty the gen 3-4 is a much better design.

I do track days and im yet to see any oil issues.

temp issues is a whole other kettle of fish, lots of temp issue. oil and coolant. brakes even tyres...
aus jd 2703
Established Member

Postby TRDTurko » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:36 pm

good to know the newer engines are not bad with starvation. so I could probably sell my pan if I went with the gen 4.
88 Celica GTS - RIP
87 Corolla - RIP(sold for parts)
93 Honda Civic - RIP
88 Celica AWD Turbo - Current Project "Racetrac"
85 Honda Civic - Sold
91 Honda Civic - Sold to ice racer
08 Mazda 3 - Daily
88 Celica Alltrac - RIP(sold then writen off)
TRDTurko
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to FAQ / Archive