Few questions about ST165's..

Thanks in advance, and sorry if these were somewhere easy to find I must have missed it!

Does ST165 only mean for ALLTRAC Celica's? Or could a FWD Celica be a ST165 ? I saw the info on the 185's but not on 165's.

Where are the breaking points on 165's once you start getting into modding? What needs to be beefed up / replaced ect?

Could someone simplify a AWD system for me? Or have a good link ... I'm really only familiar w/ RWD systems...

Are there any real advantages from the 3SGTE's found in the later ALLtrac/GTFours/MR2 that aren't simply just upgradeable? And if so can you swap in the newer motors? Also is the 165's motor a "1st gen" 3sgte?

Are 165's good autocross cars? And what wheel sizes did they come with stock..?

I'd also assume that they are ALWAYS AWD, and don't switch to Front or Rear at high speeds?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a Supra owner I'm not used to your guys coding ect... but the alltrac.net has been somewhat helpful.

PS: Since I might be joining your community soon, I can tell you right now that I might be a useful JDM part sourcer for you guys. I know almost everything AERO when it comes to MKIII Supra's.. and where / how to find them.

Dracov

Alltracs are all fulltime AWD setups. The transmission puts out an even 50/50 torque split between the front and rear axles.

For 4th gen Celicas, all the FWD versions are chassis code ST162. This goes for both the coupe and liftback versions. ST165 is just for the Alltrac version. www.st162.com is a good place specifically for 4th gens. :)

WarTowels

Are there any real advantages from the 3SGTE's found in the later ALLtrac/GTFours/MR2 that aren't simply just upgradeable?

-Yes, and no. As with any motor throughout time, they improved upon the design. The latest generation of 3SGTE found in the Caldina in Japan has some parts which would be highly difficult to swap to the ST165. Most can be swapped such as a better TMIC.

For example the ST185 (2nd gen 3SGTE) has better cooling, a beefed up (right?) ecu and timing map, as well as slightly higher compression.

For a side by side check out http://alltrac.net/specs/comparison.htm

And if so can you swap in the newer motors?

- ALL 3S series motors (All generations 3SGTE, 3SGE, 5SFE, ect) will mount to the ST165. The "easiest" the generally considered best swap is the ST205 motor.

Also is the 165's motor a "1st gen" 3sgte?

- Yes.

-The 165 is considered the 1rst gen 3sgte, of four generations currently.

Are 165's good autocross cars? And what wheel sizes did they come with stock..?

-The ST165 won 13 WRC series, according to Wiki. I beleive they came with either 14" rims...?

Cheers,

-Towels

___Scott___

SupraOfDoom":2fhnw0lv said:
Are 165's good autocross cars?
It would not be my first choice ... or second ... or third or ...

AllTracs are heavy, and that's not really what you want for an autocross car.

Tazka

___Scott___":2m6eegkt said:
SupraOfDoom":2m6eegkt said:
Are 165's good autocross cars?
It would not be my first choice ... or second ... or third or ...

AllTracs are heavy, and that's not really what you want for an autocross car.
But you can put it on diet, like i will, my target is around 1200kg from ~1460kg.

BNZ

SupraOfDoom":h3vsz4zl said:
Where are the breaking points on 165's once you start getting into modding? What needs to be beefed up / replaced ect?

Does anyone know the answer here ? :)