How not to get burned buying JDM ST185 fenders.

maxxhavoc

As anyone who has ended up with a damaged fender knows, ST185 fenders are getting hard to find. They are $250 each at the dealership. They are easiest to find on Ebay from JDM sellers, but as I have already cautioned several people from here, all ST185's are not created equally. It seems that most of the JDM ST185 fenders you see on Ebay come off of narrowbody JDM ST185's. It can be hard to spot the difference between these two types in most ebay pics by trying to see the curve of the fenders:
gtfull.jpg

atfull.jpg

(Top: Narrowbody, bottom: Widebody)

This is especially true if the fender is black or white. You can specifically ask for a front-on view of these and if you know what you are looking for, you can tell:
gtcontour.jpg

atcontour.jpg

But even that can be a challenge with some sellers. The most surefire way to tell is on the rock guard area. The GT/JDM Narrowbody ST185 does not use them and have a simple crease to make the bodyline match. The Widebodies (Including the GT-S) have a removable rockguard, which you can usually see:
gtguard.jpg

atguard.jpg

If the rockguard is missing, it is more obvious:
GTSguard.jpg

Here is on auction where the buyer probably didn't get what they expected (obvious lack of rockguards)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...001QQitemZ110169579521QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Hope this helps, happy hunting.

etantshi

I bought some JDM fenders from jhot that were narrow body, but I just bougt them to get the sidemarkers and measure the distance so I can cut my own.

WarTowels

You bought fenders so you could measure the distance of the side markers?

lol...

Why didn't you just ask Dustin, or any of the other members who have imported GT-FOUR's?

-Towels

JPOT55

If you are looking for something other than the amber side markers there is a place in England I got clear ones for my son's car. I think I put it in another post on here when someone else was looking for side markers.

etantshi

WarTowels":fj8rct9q said:
You bought fenders so you could measure the distance of the side markers?

lol...

Why didn't you just ask Dustin, or any of the other members who have imported GT-FOUR's?

-Towels

Because I got the fenders for cheap, and I wanted to duplicate it precisely! I'm a stickler for details!!! lol

___Scott___

My fuzzy memory seems to recall someone like Dennis Heath saying that the widebody was not sold in Japan. Assuming that's true, I wouldn't expect any real JDM fenders to be widebody.

maxxhavoc

___Scott___":334cuio8 said:
My fuzzy memory seems to recall someone like Dennis Heath saying that the widebody was not sold in Japan. Assuming that's true, I wouldn't expect any real JDM fenders to be widebody.

The widebody fenders in my pics are off a JDM ST185 (except the bottom one - that is on the GT-S.) I have a set of blacks as well. Widebody was an option on JDM cars, but apparently not many people paid extra for it. About 1/4 of JDM Fenders I have seen on ebay are widebody.

Corey

yep, option came in for wide body GT4 "A" - same as alltrac basically. Sims on the forum here has one

gt4tified

Resurrecting for a question:

Can the widebody fender fit on a narrowbody ST185? And when I say fit, I'm asking meaning without modification and if it will look neat?

concealer404

gt4tified":a5995q8k said:
Resurrecting for a question:

Can the widebody fender fit on a narrowbody ST185? And when I say fit, I'm asking meaning without modification and if it will look neat?

Yes.

For that matter it'll fit on an ST182, ST183, ST184, and AT180. :D

To some, it may look strange having a widebody front with a narrowbody rear, but in terms of width, they'll be almost even. The main asthetic issue is that the widebody fenders look like softened "box flares" and the rear won't match in terms of bodyline.

I like the look. You might not.

concealer404

No problem.... however, at this time, i cannot recommend buying these fenders anywhere online.

Find them yourself, or go to the dealer.

I just found out yesterday that the pair of widebody fenders that i bought off of someone is in fact one widebody, and one narrowbody, which puts me in a rather large bind in terms of tire fitment.