Switch to full style
All of the information you need in one place.
Post a reply

Does your seatbelt scratch your neck? check this out!!

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:29 pm

I think I have stumbled onto what is probably the most fantastic interior 'modification' that 6' tall people or below can do to their AllTrac. As far as I know this only applies to the 165 (can someone confirm it is the same with the 185 please?).

I remember reading some time ago, one of those lists that said "You know you own a Celica if:" and one of the responses was something along the lines of 'your neck is rubbed raw by your seatbelt'...or something like that...Anyways, let me get to the point, I have a solution!

Now some of you might be like "dumbass, I have known about this for years!" but I just figured it out, so here we go.

Normally the seatbelt is oriented like this:

I am 5'10" so I'm not incredibly tall or short, just kind of in the middle, and the belt ALWAYS rubs my neck and it is annoying as hell. Well today I decided to take out my headliner to clean it, and when I took off the B-pillar cover I found this!:

Notice the lower bolt hole in the B-pillar and the corresponding mark on the cover that indicates where to drill a new hole.

Here is the result of me bolting the seatbelt into the 'new' lower hole:

Not only does the seatbelt not touch my neck, but it touches a lot more of my shoulder which I feel is potentially a lot safer as well. I feel like I am 'held' in the seat much more.

Enjoy!

Mods: feel free to move this to the FAQ section, I just felt like it would help more people by getting a little more face-time here.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:19 am

That's pretty neat!

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:51 am

I'm not that tall but it still bugs me nonetheless. Good tip, I'll have to try that, Thanks

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:40 am

Wow! I will definitely take a look at this tomorrow. My seatbelt bothers me a bit, but not alot, however, I would like it a bit lower.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:39 am

moved to the FAQ/Archive.

good info!
i'm going to have to check that out tommorrow & see if its the same in the 185 as well.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:22 pm

darthripley wrote:moved to the FAQ/Archive.

good info!
i'm going to have to check that out tommorrow & see if its the same in the 185 as well.

Hey ripley did you ever check this out??

Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:47 pm

honestly i forgot all about it :oops:
i didn't notice it bothering me when we drove down to Austin, but it was so hot, it's kind of hard to notice much else :|

i'll try & check it out sometime soon.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:11 pm

I don't have a problem with that in my 5th gen, but I'm 6'0"... I could always make my girlfriend happy and shove her in the driver's seat, but only to see if it rubbed her or not! :D

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:27 pm

I don't have a problem with mine either thanks to being 6 foot also. I know there are others on here that it may help out. Its strange how its placed there on the 165... I wonder if the Japanese gt4's had it attached to the lower one for the normally shorter Japanese public.

Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:19 am

Did this on my 162 and it feels way better. Great tip! :D

P.S. - I plugged the hole with a grommet from the hatch of an 88GTS. It fits perfectly. It's the grommet on both sides of the hatch itself.

I lightened up the pic a bit:

Re: Does your seatbelt scratch your neck? check this out!!

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:05 pm

This is also an option - http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/29097297 ... =63&ff19=0
Post a reply