Differences in 185 and 165 motor?

Jvimpty

Does anybody know what the differences are in the 3sGTE in the ST185 and the ST165 (1988)?

Will the bottom end of a 185 motor bolt to a 165 Head? are there any differences?

Will this change compression etc?

Jeremy

Jvimpty

What about bolting a 165 head to a 185 block...

I don't know what gen the motors are? is teh 165 motor (1988) a gen 2?
and teh 185 a gen 3 motor?

Sorry for my ignorance

Thanks for any help...

Oil and H20 passages teh same on the above? compression ratio changes?

Jeremy

saved_1992

1GEN is 88-89,2gen 90-93, 3gen is 94-99?, 4gen over 99?

the 1 gen head will fit on the 2gen block

if you want to upgrade cams the 2 gen has alot more aftermaket kits.

oil and cooling the same compression the same or very close.

Gary

If you put 1st gen, head on 2nd gen block and if you have 9-stud exhaust manifold, you will have to grind/cut it to fit 1st gen head.

Austen_gt4

jeremy has the whole motor 2nd gen, he has a bad block in a 165. he wants to put the 185 block into it. he needs to know if the oil cooler and any other lines will need to be moved or relocated.. i dunno if he wants to put the whole 185 motor into it. right now on the 165 he has a t3/t4 and a tec3 (i think) and it's all tuned for the 165 motor.. soo what he want to do is just swap bottom ends. and all he wants to know if any major problems are going to come up. oil cooler ect.

i hope that clears it up some..of what your trying to do jeremy.

Jvimpty

Yeah basically trying to get a street car running as cheap as possible.

threw a rod....in 165 motor...I have a bunch of 165 heads....and one "good" 185 bottom end....

just wanted make sure that bolting this combo together was possible and didn't drop compresson...or need some other special somethings done..

Thanks for the info/help.

Jeremy