Dyno in 2WD mode

coyoteboy

I know the design work that goes into such items, and I know they are not "massively" over-engineered despite what common misconceptions there are flying around. Shifting the lever is nothing like shifting the gear lever and although the mechanism for locking/unlocking the viscous coupling may be perfectly happy to be moved, the transmission of all the torque through one end of the driveline was never invisaged OR designed for. And whats more the failure of several that I know of that were used for only a matter of weeks in the 2wd mode and thats in the UK alone leads me to believe this is the case.

You take the risk if you think you know more than the Toyota design team, who will have specified that it should not be used in those circumstances. But for the sake of my transmission I wont be so presumtuous despite (or, maybe, because) mech eng being my career :)

alltracman78

I don't suggest using the 2WD mode.
In fact I never even hinted at it. ;)
I simply stated it was not to protect the front diff...
You might want to work on your reading comprehension. ;)

The physical action of engagement is very similar.
There is no cable, but there is still a shift fork that slides a sleeve to lock or unlock. Same thing the gears do.
Pretty similar to me, though I don't have a piece of paper telling me how smart I am...

And I fail to see how the front diff cannot handle all the power being transmitted from a stock engine when it has no problem handling it's HALF of 6, 7, and 800 hp engines....
Half would of course be much more than 200 in case you don't have your calculator on you.

:shrug:

ummmiono

i think what we have to do is figure out exactly what part is breaking when these cars are being run in 2wd mode. if it is in fact the front diff then wouldnt a beefed up diff help with this? i realize most people dont care about driving in 2wd mode but i just think it would be cool to have it as a reasonable possibility due to benefits such as: gas saving, possibilty of remaining mobile in case of broken rear axle, functionality in case of busted center diff or rear diff, dyno tuning, emissions testing. these are just a few ideas that i think would be worth the effort of making a reliable 2wd mode possible for all of us, especially beneficial for rally racers just trying to finish a race after breaking parts. so which part exactly is breaking? it would be nice if it was just a small part, maybe our mech engineer could think of a solution. if it was reliable id do it just for commuting/dd purposes.

yellowtuner

do you guys switch it to do the smog tests? i need to know cuz im going to smog mine and ive never done it! whats the easiest way to get to it if i do need to switch it? :shrug:

Carolina91GT-S

This topic is especially interesting to those of us who are FWD Celica owners that are doing the 3SGTE swap. My engine clip came with the AWD XMSN and I am hoping to use it in my FWD 91 GT-S. I have looked at the drawings/diagrams in detail and cannot see immediately see why it could not be a long term usable solution in my particular application. I think that the warning in the BGB takes into consideration that the rear portion of the drive train is in place and causes drag on the system. So, I just the transfer gear off and put a blank off plate on the center portion, then I put the lever in FWD mode...we'll see what happens. I hope to get it back in the car and running in the next month or so. I am doing the work in a relatives shop a couple of hours away so I can only get there on the occasional weekend. I am finishing up the wiring stuff now, so I can use the RH drive harness with a LH drive car.

With that being said the same should be true if you happen to be in the situation where you have a rear drivetrain malfunction on the All trac and need to drive the car.