Heater Core

LostValleyCal

88 all trac heater only puts cold air out. I'm clueless on this. Thermostat replacement didn't help which pretty much points to the heater core. I've done the "Hose from Hell" replacement and put a timing belt on my evil lil roadrocket but have no idea what kind of mess replacing the heater core will cause. Any help, comments, suggestions or humourous sarcasm would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

88st165

heater core might be clogged or you might have air in the system when you changed the thermostat. sometimes people flush out the heater core and it solves their heat prob. but if you had to replace it i would look on the online bgb to see how its done.

Rick89GTS

LostValleyCal":2ktnexn1 said:
88 all trac heater only puts cold air out. I'm clueless on this. Thermostat replacement didn't help which pretty much points to the heater core....
Most likely cause is NOT the heater core but the heater control panel - a much easier fix. Remove the radio trim bezel, pull out that control panel and resolder all the connections. This is a common fault on the 4th gens.
Follow this thread, it'll explain everything:
http://toyotacelicaonline.com/board/vie ... er+problem

165radiotrimbezel.jpg

Mafix

yep all the 4th gen heater control panels break solder joints and the default setting is cold. found that one out the hard way...what a whore to trace the wiring down. but in the end the problem was simple solder joints....but then i'm hardcore too so i have nothing but heat (perm wiring). and no stupid panel. lol.

I had the same problem in my car. A check of the climate control panel revealed all the connections were in good shape, so I had to point towards the heater core. A simple flush will usually do the trick. The hoses to the core seem just about inaccessable, but if you pull the strut tower brace and all related components(iggy coil, igniter and the bracket where those relays are at, etc), you can access the core hoses relatively easily. Just backflush the system(place your hose on the left inlet, and flush it so water comes out the right), and watch all that junky old coolant get expelled out the other end. I did this, and it worked like a charm. Now, if only the A/C was still working...

Rick89GTS

AlltracAvenger":ligb8mav said:
...Just backflush the system(place your hose on the left inlet, and flush it so water comes out the right), and watch all that junky old coolant get expelled out the other end. I did this, and it worked like a charm. Now, if only the A/C was still working...

Left IN, right OUT.
I'll have to remember that for when the time comes to do that.
I suppose you could always reverse it for a back flush too :)