Where is dome light wire?

For everything related to the inside of the car!!

Where is dome light wire?

Postby Ignis » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:28 pm

I need to find a wire that controls the dome light. Does anyone know if there is one conveniently located in the driver's side kick panel?

Thanks,
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Joe K.
Gardner, KS
1992 All-trac
Ignis
Club Member

Postby alltracman78 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:20 pm

Yes, light blue/yellow.

*Keep in mind that's the power source. It always has power. There isn't one there that only comes on when the dome light is on.*
Last edited by alltracman78 on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby alltracman78 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:41 pm

Here's a pic of where it is. Sorry it's blurry. Pin(wire) is bottom, 2nd one in from the door.

alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:41 am

Thanks for the reply, but I should have been more clear. I'm needing a line that I can used to trigger the dome light. So, if it's a constant power source, then that's not going to work. Thanks anyways for the attempt.
I may just have to run a wire coming directly from the dome light?

Postby alltracman78 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:33 am

That's kinda what I figured.
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Or what is the problem?
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:21 pm

Sorry about the lateness of my reply, I used to get email messages whenever someone replied to one of my messages, but I guess that is not the case anymore...

Anyways, I've installed a keyless entry and I wanted to trigger the dome light to turn on whenever I unlock the doors. The unit I installed has an output that does this, and then turns the light off after 60 seconds.

Postby Ignis » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:30 pm

Okay... I guess I wasn't logged in the last couple posts as I see it said I was a 'guest'. I've been a member of this board for quite some time now. Unfortunatly when the admistrator changed to this forumn he must have felt that I wasn't 'active' enough and removed my account. So, I'm starting over...
Joe K.
Gardner, KS
1992 All-trac
Ignis
Club Member

Postby pepper » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:22 pm

Anonymous wrote:Anyways, I've installed a keyless entry and I wanted to trigger the dome light to turn on whenever I unlock the doors. The unit I installed has an output that does this, and then turns the light off after 60 seconds.

Hmmm, the stock switching on the dome light connects the ground to turn the light on. Does your keyless entry system allow you to change the settings on that option to switch it to ground, rather than power? I know that many alarm systems have this option. If so, you'd just need to tap into the ground wire from the dome light and run that to your keyless entry wiring.

-Mike
Mike
'88 ST165
Vancouver, WA USA ------------------------------ mine
pepper
Club Member

Postby pepper » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:23 pm

Ignis wrote:Okay... I guess I wasn't logged in the last couple posts as I see it said I was a 'guest'. I've been a member of this board for quite some time now. Unfortunatly when the admistrator changed to this forumn he must have felt that I wasn't 'active' enough and removed my account. So, I'm starting over...

Had nothing to do with how active you were, everyone needed to create new accounts with the change in software for the forums.

-Mike
Mike
'88 ST165
pepper
Club Member

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:42 pm

pepper wrote:Hmmm, the stock switching on the dome light connects the ground to turn the light on. Does your keyless entry system allow you to change the settings on that option to switch it to ground, rather than power? I know that many alarm systems have this option. If so, you'd just need to tap into the ground wire from the dome light and run that to your keyless entry wiring.
-Mike

That's fine with me. But, is there a wire in the driver's side kick panel that is connected to the dome light that will work for this?

Postby alltracman78 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:43 pm

Probably not. I don't have the wiring diagrams with me, but it should ground somewhere on the roof.
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby pepper » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:09 am

Anonymous wrote:That's fine with me. But, is there a wire in the driver's side kick panel that is connected to the dome light that will work for this?

Can't say for sure on the 185, but the 165 dome light grounds through integration relay #1 so the ground wire does go to the driver's side kick panel. Need someone with a 185 wiring diagram or, ideally, the EWD.

-Mike
Mike
'88 ST165
pepper
Club Member

Return to Audio / Wiring / Interior