Speakers in the Hatch cover

Qlynxer

I've got some 6.5 inch speakers lying around so i'm trying to figure out what's the best way to make use of them. I don't think i'll be able mount them in the stock location because stock speakers are like 4 inches. Was wondering if i could cut holes into the hatch cover and mount them there. I dont know much about audio so could someone tell me if this would sound like crap?

Quan L

SuperWhite92

It would work, and I've seen more than a few speakers mounted this way, but without a solid base to push against, they'll sound crappier than they would mounted in a real location, plus they look stupid. If I were you, I'd find a trade on craigslist or sell 'em on ebay

RIalltrac

I had a friend with a 93 gts that did this, I almost smacked him when I saw it. without building a box around the speaker its going to sound like crap, like mentioned above, plus you just ruined a rather important piece of the car in my opinion. Those things are expensive new and I dont know about you, but I like to keep certain things out of sight of passer by's, its not like you have many other options to hide things in these cars.

klue

i mouted my alpine 6.5 componets using the factory box. I replaces the top half of the factory rear box with wood and sealed it shut drilled the hole for my 6.5 midbass woofer and called it a day. as for the tweeter i mounted it on the c pillar near the top to stage the sound for the front aswell. great thing about it is you cant see nothing when the covers are on. everything is hidden

klue

lol this thread is years old
here are the speaker boxes i made, fit in the stock locating using a 6.5 inch alpine mid-bass.

sound good, they are for sale