st165 driver side door-handle doesnt work

A

Anonymous

my driver side door handle for my st165 doesn't work. it worked when i bought the car, but apparently something isn't going right anymore. i tried to take the door panel off, but was afraid to break something (which i actually did :x (one of the clips that holds the trim piece on around the lock). does anyone else suffer this prob? anyone got a step-by-step on removing door panels? anyone know where i can get that metal clip (the whole freakin trim piece would be better)?

thanks

A

Anonymous

woops, that was me. my bad (first time i've ever had it do that...)

Rick89GTS

Yeah, those little door lock trim pieces have a bad design. You have to push them forward and then lift out or the tabs will break off. I've seen some owners drill a small hole and use a screw to secure it. Mine are loose too but I'll probably try that method.

You don't need a step-by-step for the door panels.
Take out ALL the screws; door handle, door marker light, door side pockets, door lock trim piece, etc. Carefully ease the plastic retainers off from the door panel with a quick "pop." Lift and jiggle it free and you're done.

The same thing happened on my st 165.

It's the little latches in the door behind the outside handle. Rust can form on the little rods and they can't move anymore.

My door got stuck closed so I had to go through the passenger door and get the door panel off that way.

All I did was spray the little rods and the latches in the door with WD-40 and poof the door could be opened.

killer_siller

hmm.
its the inside door handle thats not working on mine, and how the hell do you get the inside handle off to take the door panel off (that's what was keeping me from getting the door panel off).

Rick89GTS

killer_siller":7x8t2uus said:
hmm.
.......and how the hell do you get the inside handle off to take the door panel off (that's what was keeping me from getting the door panel off).

Pop off those two plugs on the door pull and you'll see two screws underneath. Read my previous post for the other details and don't forget the screw under the door marker light.

killer_siller

got those...

i had every screw off, but i couldn't get the panel off AROUND the handle, and i couldn't figure out how you were supposed to do that.

trust me when i say i got all the screws, the door panel was hanging, but the handle was keeping it from coming off.

maybe i'm just an idiot, i donno

killer_siller

got those...

i had every screw off, but i couldn't get the panel off AROUND the handle, and i couldn't figure out how you were supposed to do that.

trust me when i say i got all the screws, the door panel was hanging, but the handle was keeping it from coming off.

maybe i'm just an idiot, i donno

Rick89GTS

Did you get this screw out?
Also, the handle needs to be partially lifted before the trim surround piece can be removed. The interior panel should come off after that.

162doorhandle.jpg