noob question: will this harness work?

beppy

I have a 1991 Celica GT-Four with system 10 speakers. when i bought it, it came with a cheap jvc deck that does not work with the door subs. Anyways i plan to get a newer better deck and have someone install it and get the door subs to work again.

I'm trying to buy the parts off ebay to save money. This is a summary of what I plan to buy.

DECK: Alpine 9885
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-ALPINE-CDA-9885- ... dZViewItem

Harness: BRAND NEW METRA 70-1761 1987-2006 TOYOTA/LEXUS/SCION/GEO
http://cgi.ebay.com/METRA-70-1761-87-06 ... dZViewItem

Din: BRAND NEW METRA 99-8101 1984-2004 TOYOTA IN-DASH CD PLAYER MOUNTING KIT

so anyways my biggest concern are the door subs. would this harness allow my door subs to work? it does say its compatible for my car, but after reading some threads on this forms, it seems like ppl still dont get it, or the harness they recommend is not this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/METRA-99-8101-84-04 ... dZViewItem

beppy

hmmm, after some surfing, i came across this

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4495

think i need to get different a harness.

SO, does having the door subs working or not depend on the harness used?

Metra will tell you that they don't make a wiring harness for the 90-93 Celica with the system 10. This is incorrect. 70-8112 is listed as TOYOTA AMPLIFIER INTEGRATION HARNESS 1992-UP. Compatible Vehicles: Lexus ES300 4DR Sedan 1992-1995. (But, it will work on the 1992-1993 Celica Sytem 10 and a few late manufactured 91's.)
man why can't it work for 1991!

WarTowels

Hey,

I'm not sure if that is the correct harness or not... this is the harness that most people get: http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23470

It has RCA on the ends of some of the wires to connect into the CD deck.

Harness aside, the word on the street seems to be that NO harness for the 1990 - 1991 Alltrac's allow the door subs to work via plug and play.

However, there are some things you can do to get the subs back.

The absolute BEST way to get the door subs back in my opinion is to buy a cheaper 200-300 Watt amp. They can often be found VERY cheap on craigs list.

1) Get a Amp (2 channel, 4 channel, mono, anything)
2) Get a wiring amp install kit
3) Install amp, possibly under the drivers seat
4) Run the RCA's from the AMP to the sub woofer specific inputs on the back of your deck.

Doing it this way may seem like a huge pain but the benefits are that you get ALOT more power to the subs so you can upgrade them and get a bigger and better sound. Also, sending it through the amp means that it has a low pass frequency filter on it which means it will only be sending bass notes to the subs which is much better for the speakers and produce a better sound. It also allows you adjust ability on the subs to get the sound just right.

The other way to get the subs back would be to splice into the mid range speakers signal. This will cut the power to these speakers, but it will make them work. Less ideal.

There are some threads on how to do this, try searching around.

Hope that helps,

Towels

Search for SIO PC9-406. I bought some from Autoleads in England as
the harness is not for sale in the US. I found this via a UK auction on ebay. A local used one and it worked just like the metra harness in his 90 alltrac.
Harness goes for 50 + shipping from the UK.

justjoe

I was able to get my Sub's working in the door, but only the door subs are running off of the Factory AMP.

What I had to do (because we have a 1990 All-Trac), is buy a 93-96 Lexus harness, that uses the RCA connectors for the output for the subs.. and then manually patch in the power and the rest of the wires (because it was the 15 and not 14 pin plug), and then go and use the normal harness to use the head unit to power the rest of the speakers.
Again, I had to pull pins out of harnesses.. and all that jazz.. Lots of work, but I now have a head unit that sounds great, WITH door speakers and because of that now, it will not have all the feedback/ terrible sound that everyone says that you will if you use the factory Amp to run all of your speakers.

So, to repeat, I was able to get a Lexus 93-96 15 pin harness as well as the currently existing aftermarket harness, butcher both harnesses, to make the best of both worlds.. and I didn't have to run ANY extra wires! w00t!

CMS-GT4

So here is a question... where are these RCA inputs that go to the Metra Harness? Are they supposed to be on the radio? I have a 92 with system 10 but I do not see any RCAs under the dash.

justjoe

I would have to re-look at everything.. but I had to totally hack the wiring harness for that Lex to make it work..
I know I cut those RCA ends off if I believe, and just plugged each pin in to get it to work.. I wish I had a REAL connector.. but after looking in the electronic shops.. I might be able to do it with 1~2 connectors and have REAL plugs.

CMS-GT4

That is where I am confused. You have a 90, so that metra harness would work for you since the 90-91 did not have the RCAs. What confuses me is that my 92 is supposed to but I do not see any. There are no RCA jacks on the radio either.

The RCA's are meant to plug into an aftermarket radio that has premain out connections. You should be able to use the Metra harness (I think). The Metra works with the 3-in-1 systems (the ones where the cd player and radio are all one piece) .vs. the radio + seperate CD player that the 90-91's had. Think the 90's have a 14pin connector and the 3in1 have a 15?

Again, using the autolead kit eliminates any rewiring, just plug in the harness and go.
Verified that it works on a 90 alltrac with system 10 and installing an aftermarket radio with premain RCA outputs.

CMS-GT4

Well I am trying to wire in a scion radio with no rcas. So I guess I need the autolead kit instead ?

EDIT: I will just splice my metra harness into my scion harness and cut the rcas if I need to.

The Scion radios (or at least my 2005) had internal amplifier which is not going to work with the system 10 amp and wiring. You can unplug the amp harness (the sub harness has a 15 pin connector that goes in the system 10 radio and another connector that plugs into the standard radio harness) and use the standard radio harness plug (one that plugs into the non-system 10 head units). That should power all the speakers but the 8" woofers in the doors.

NOTE: I would guess that you could buy a conversion harness for the standard radio connector that might work with the scion radio. No matter what you are loosing the subwoofers in the doors.

Edit: Ha, I repeat myself like a broken record when looking at your scion radio thread :)

CMS-GT4

So what if I convert the scion to RCA preouts, or is this even possible? I am wanting to keep this simple. Would I need to change out my amp? I assume there is not aftermarket head unit that is the same size as ours, and can just be plugged in with a patch harness and still keep all the speakers?

EDIT: I think I want to try rip's idea, I just have to figure out the whole wiring mess.

underscore

Any aftermarket deck with the proper body harness adapter will bolt right in and hook right up to all the speakers.

CMS-GT4

I am almost considering getting tweak to make me a patch harness for the radio so I can just plug this in and go. I don't want to spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out radio installs.

Might want to go to www.mr2oc.com and check out their audio write ups. Basically they use the same radios and also have 3in1 with external amps so they have the same problems.

My 2 cents, just get a cheaper aftermarket system that has ipod capability and use it. Too much work when there is a simple solution. You cannot use an amplified system (scion) and retain the factory amp, and unless you run new wires to the door speakers you cannot use them without the factory amp :(

justjoe

FYI.. I ended up looking on MR2OC.com or mr2.com at the wiring and the solutions there to get it working for me..
There might have been one or 2 wires off.. but for the most part were pretty spot on.
I think that is where I found out about the lexus harness.

CMS-GT4

So I am going to simplify my life. I wanted something that looked low profile but I am sure I can find something decent that does not stand out too much.
Here are two I am looking at. Both have amp preouts. I already have the harness for the metra, so if I get one of these radios can I just hook it up and go?

Alpine, a brand I have always been happy with.
http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_500CDA1 ... mp_Outputs

I sort of prefer the kenwood since its more blank and plain looking and might blend in better.
http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613KDCX ... mp_Outputs

Does the metra plug into the system10 harness (namely does it plug into the plug that goes to your system 10 head unit). The metra will work for the newer (3in1 systems) but not the older ones. They differ by the number of pins in the plug into the radio (14 and 15 pins). If so then you should be able to use it.