List of 8" woofers that fit the door panels

underscore

Nice timing, I've been meaning to replace mine as the foam surrounds are torn on both of mine and I feel like even if I rebuild them a 27 year old speaker isn't going to sound very good.

Dave91alltrac

If you have the original System 10 stereo and amp, and you have someone that can rebuild them, I would have them do it (as long as it's affordable). I have had two Celica's with they System 10, and even with all of the replacement speakers I've just done, my system is still not quite as full sounding as the original system 10 unit. These subs are very good, but I think the "tuning" of the system that Toyota had done with the system 10 is where the sound came from. You can put bigger speakers in, but if they aren't matched perfectly, the sound suffers. Don't get me wrong, I'm completely happy with the sound now, but if I could have had them rebuilt, it would have avoided all the trial and error and manipulating the panel that the speakers were set it.

Best of luck!

~Dave

underscore

I don't trust anyone anymore so I DIY everything I can. It keeps things affordable but time is in short supply these days. I believe the amp works though it has been worked on by someone in the past, the parts for the woofers look to be dirt cheap so I may as well take a shot at it, it's not like I've got anything to lose as they're already toast. Worst case I could steal the ones from my GTS anyways.

Dave91alltrac":dw3pnenj said:
If you have the original System 10 stereo and amp, and you have someone that can rebuild them, I would have them do it (as long as it's affordable). I have had two Celica's with they System 10, and even with all of the replacement speakers I've just done, my system is still not quite as full sounding as the original system 10 unit. These subs are very good, but I think the "tuning" of the system that Toyota had done with the system 10 is where the sound came from. You can put bigger speakers in, but if they aren't matched perfectly, the sound suffers. Don't get me wrong, I'm completely happy with the sound now, but if I could have had them rebuilt, it would have avoided all the trial and error and manipulating the panel that the speakers were set it.

Best of luck!

~Dave
You could have had your old System 10 door woofers refoamed/reconed. If you still have the originals, here is a thread that gives you information on that option along with a place that will either sell you what you need to do it yourself or they will do it for you, and a very reasonable cost.

- viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53040

FC Zach

Another option for those that either don't have the OE speakers or theirs are BER. . you can make an adapter. I cut some adapters to install my 6.5" JL Audio speakers. No trimming of the "LiveSound" box necessary (for the front) and is obviously reversible should you ever want to install factory speakers in the future.
24197779854_54687428af_z.jpg

24825958785_0d1d94f697_z.jpg

24799694276_4d6e5537f6_z.jpg

I adapted the same speakers to rear as well. However it did require some trimming of the speaker mounting surface of the livesound boxes to allow it (the OE rears don't have a round bezel). I also had to tweak the speaker bezels to prevent drilling additional holes in the boxes.
24301977774_1baeda217a_z.jpg

FC Zach

underscore":zbdlj3up said:
Nice work, what's the model # on those JLs?

Thank you! It's two sets of 6.5" TR Series components (TR650-CSi) with the tweeters mounted in the stock locations and two 4" C1 Series coaxial (C1-400x) in the dash locations.

Because of the C1 tweeters stuck out so far, I had to trim some of the inside of the dash/grill cover before reinstalling.