List of 8" woofers that fit the door panels

wyomingtoy

Although this thread has a lot of useful information, it is dated in terms of what speakers are available to replace the mid-bass door speakers. Has anyone recently replaced those speakers? What worked with a minimum of cutting?

Thanks

WarTowels

http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.asp?MODEL=VX830

^These are interesting.

Specs:

SPECS
# Standard 8'' Size Fits OEM Locations
# Poly-Mica Coated Woofer Cone
# 1.5'' High Temperature Voice Coil
# Neodymium Dome Tweeter
# Film Cone Midrange
# Power Handling: 200 Watts RMS/400 Watts Max
# Impedance: 4 Ohms
# Frequency Response: 37-22kHz
# Rubber Boot Magnet Cover
# Mounting Depth: 3.35''
# Includes Grills, Wires and Installation Hardware

$28.00 + shipping at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007L ... -1&seller=

I don't know much about Lanzar, but these seem like they would been cool if powered by a small amp. I don't think it would be a great idea to power them through a deck since they have 200watt's rms.

I for one don't really want to put 8" subwoofers in my doors, I would prefer a real 8" mid bass driver or these, which are the 3 ways.

The only other "real" mid bass driver I can find for reasonable prices are from Pyle, but I don't know them either.

Thoughts anyone?

-Towels

RedCelicaTRD

Pyle and Lanzar are both near the bottom in terms of build and sound quality. I (and it pains me to say this) agree that a true 8" mid should be placed in the door. MB Quart had a decent set quite a few years ago before they got bought by Rockford Fosgate. It had an 8", a 4" and a 1" tweeter. It was a little "bright" due to the aluminum tweeter but I'm sure an even better kit could be made using it's crossovers and mids.

93cc

well I just ordered the Kickers... hopefully I will be able to get them installed... I'll let you know when my car is back from the paint/body shop.

If anyone has any pictures of this install I would appreciate it.

wyomingtoy

After reading information from this thread I decided on trying to locate a set of Kickers. They are still available through ebay for about $100. I had a blown speaker in the passenger door. The hardest part of this install was getting all the hidden screws loosen. A Dremel helped a lot in grinding and cutting the plastic speaker housing to fit the new speaker. I recommend using the cut-off pads and the grinding attachment. The new speaker did not fit absolutely flush, but was solid with four mounting screws in the stock locations. I had to extend the original wiring slightly for the new speakers. The metal door frame needed some trimming as well. I used the plastic speaker housing as a guide and marked the cut needed. A reinforced cut-off pad made trimming the sheet metal short and easy. I did place a rivet into the door frame, since the trimmed piece included a small spot weld to join two pieces of frame on the bottom of the door. The speakers are definately better quality than stock and sounds great. If your System 10 is working, except for the blown door speakers, this is the easiest way to go.

WarTowels

Grinding and cutting plastic, riveting, cutting the metal door frame, and extending the wiring = "the easiest way to go".

I would have to disagree with that. Easiest way to go would be a drop in solution, which do seem to exist.

-Towels

Toxygene

Has anyone tried 7" marine speakers. I know Clarion and a few other brands have a 7" speaker meant for marine situations but wouldn't they fit better?

93cc

93cc":2c3cze0g said:
Towels that were I ordered the KICKER SSMB8 from, $78 with shipping.

The Kickers have on back order so I tried to change my order to some Pioneer shollow mounts after a few day of them not being able to confirm shipment I told them to cancel my order.

~CDUB~

so are there any 8" speakers out there that fit. I've been trying to find smb8's for 2 weeks now and have yet to find a place that actually has them in stock.

There has to be something that is currently available....

GT4RC

I've heard these are the way to go... except for a 3-way component setup properly crossed over...

http://www.earthquakesound.com/sws.htm
* SWS-8 300 Max
* 2 1/8" mounting depth
* Over 1.5" long throw excursion
* 1.5" aluminum VC (4-ohm)
* MSRP: $173.00

SWSF.gif

SWS.gif

wyomingtoy

I just checked with the ebay seller that I had purchased these from. Last month they had two new pairs for sale. I bought one of the two. Looks like they are out. I would keep checking on ebay.

It was not the mounting depth the was the problem, it was the diameter of the rear of the speaker that caused some minor interference with the plastic housing and door panel.

concealer404

WarTowels":2ckqu8qq said:
http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.asp?MODEL=VX830

^These are interesting.

Specs:

SPECS
# Standard 8'' Size Fits OEM Locations
# Poly-Mica Coated Woofer Cone
# 1.5'' High Temperature Voice Coil
# Neodymium Dome Tweeter
# Film Cone Midrange
# Power Handling: 200 Watts RMS/400 Watts Max
# Impedance: 4 Ohms
# Frequency Response: 37-22kHz
# Rubber Boot Magnet Cover
# Mounting Depth: 3.35''
# Includes Grills, Wires and Installation Hardware

$28.00 + shipping at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007L ... -1&seller=

I don't know much about Lanzar, but these seem like they would been cool if powered by a small amp. I don't think it would be a great idea to power them through a deck since they have 200watt's rms.

I for one don't really want to put 8" subwoofers in my doors, I would prefer a real 8" mid bass driver or these, which are the 3 ways.

The only other "real" mid bass driver I can find for reasonable prices are from Pyle, but I don't know them either.

Thoughts anyone?

-Towels

A month and a half later... :p I'm going to ask why it wouldn't be a good idea to power these speakers through a deck?

Speakers don't "pull" power, if that's what you're getting at.