Removing Rear Seats -> CF Bins/Trunk Liner?

Corey

Hello,

Im starting to lean towards removing my rear seats. But i dont want to leave it open.

My friends JDM FD has completely useless rear seats, which he replaced with USDM FD bins. and it looks great.

I'd like to do the same with my car. But since we dont have bins as far as i know, I think i'll make some... maybe out of CF?

I've messed with Fibre glass quite a bit. even made a halo master cheif suit out of the stuff. so making some flat edged CF bins shouldnt be toooo tough should it?

I was also thinking about making a trunk liner out of CF while i was at it.

Sandwiched around a thin foam core maybe for strength? i would make it so it would cover the spare wheel well completely flat - so id have to loose the spare.

Basically a CF version of this OEM option:

P811000711.jpg

opinions? ill try to photoshop something up in a bit to see what it might look like.

Thanks

Corey

CMS-GT4

I have been thinking about doing this for a while. I think fiberglass will be more affordable. I might post up some sketches when I get home

Corey

^^ ill get my laptop out lol

edit:

cheers

DSC03228.JPG

DSC03227.JPG

What i based it off: started off as a Master Cheif suit. then became marine armour :p

ODST_1082135408.jpg

CMS-GT4

Alright, I'll post from a computer now. Pain to post from the phone.

I think fiberglass will hold up better than CF trays and be easier to repair if there is any problems.

I thought about making a tray in the rear seat and brackets to bolt down a baby seat in case I ever have kids.

Then a removable partition where the back of the oem seats used to go. You can keep using the oem hatch cover to hide the rear. I was thinking of just puting down some sound proofing matte in the trunk for cut down on noise and cover my old paint.

I am still debating this. If I could find good condtioned gray leather rear seats I might concider reinstalling them due to saving time.

BTW: Is that oem tray for the 5th gen? If so, do you know a source? I would love to get that for the back of the car.

Corey

Not sure of a current source on the tray. Found that picture from the site i posted up about in the club chat section about OEM JDM options.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25131

I was leaning towards CF myself just for the look really. Trouble would be in getting the mold perfect so the weave still looks good. Then spray on a huge amount of clear coat to help protect it, or maybe 3m film.

I like your idea of keeping the partition somehow. the USDM FD did the same thing, replaced the rear seat back with a plastic partition that locked into place with the same mounting points. but i think it would be alot tougher to pull off well on our cars :shrug:

tw2

I just put my back seats in after having a custom sound install. It is much much louder with nothing there, even a bit of carpet doesn't dampen it down very much. If you are going to make something I would recommend some sound deadening underneath it.

CMS-GT4

There is till a chance I will get rear seats again. Even if I do, I am going to make some sort of trunk panel. I am thinking of doing something like the CRV. Make a Fiberglass panel that I can raise and put stuff in the old tire hole.

This is a table that comes with the crv, but it give me an idea for a rear trunk mat.

cargo_table-thumb.JPG

Corey

Thats a good idea ^^

I actually liked the sound of the car without the rear lower seats installed. It was like i just installed a new exhaust 8)

CMS-GT4

Yeah, but with a loud catless full exhaust it gets sort of old. I also don't care for the road noise it produces. I am waiting on some meaurements I might have a project idea I am working on.

Corey

How many people have chipped out their sound deadening.

Is it really 45 pounds worth?

Im considering it. Does it really do all that much for sound deadening? its pretty thin/solid stuff.

Any one who did do it, wish they didnt?

thx

corey

CMS-GT4

I have been looking at the Rear rx7 bins. I am thinking of making my own base and using their bins if I can not find new rear seats.

Corey

that would be cool, i wonder how close they would be to fitting.

I was thinking about getting some large sheets of foam, building them up and cutting them to the shape of the bins i want. then using them to make a mold for painted FG or straight CF weave if im brave.

Corey

My friend had those in his 2nd gen rx7... not very classey.

have you checked out the 3rd gen bins? ill go grab a pic right now actually for those who dont know what they look like

corey

EDIT: Pic. the flash REALLY shows all the scratches. cant see those at all in normal light :|

I think these would have a much better chance of fitting, and are what i plan on modeling mine after.

To get this to work in his JDM, he had to get the supporting side trim around the speakers which is slightly different.

DSC01892.JPG

Corey

He got the ones above from a junk yard :) not bad, dont think he paid any more than 75 bucks them, at the most.

the problem is finding a junkyard that has an FD, only 15000 came to the states i beleive

hacker_720

Corey Darling":1nypuvb6 said:
How many people have chipped out their sound deadening.

Is it really 45 pounds worth?

Im considering it. Does it really do all that much for sound deadening? its pretty thin/solid stuff.

Any one who did do it, wish they didnt?

thx

corey

exST165 did it in his 165 (obviously) and said it was about 3-5 pounds at most. He uses it for track only so I doubt he has an opinion about road noise.