Possible leather seat options

turbo4wd

darthripley":3bw9k544 said:
The seats turned out very nice turbo4wd - I really like the red stitching.

Thanks, I did it to match my black leather/red stitched shift boot and my Nardi steering wheel which has the same black leather / red stitching..

I'm just glad I don't have the old, hard, brittle, fossilized leather I had in the car previously with chunks of foam spitting out..

aubeone

Speaking of the foam...did you do anything with that as well? Or was it good enough shape that you could get away with recovering only?

turbo4wd

aubeone":2mucjp9t said:
Speaking of the foam...did you do anything with that as well? Or was it good enough shape that you could get away with recovering only?

I was missing a few chunks in the drivers seat so the shop took new foam of the same density, filled in the missing portion by bonding it to the old foam, and shaping it so its as good as new.

turbo4wd

Got the seats installed and surprisingly the color matches up pretty well with the stock interior.. Not a crazy amount of contrast like the black leather probably would've given me..

seat4.jpg

seat5.jpg

JPOT55

I really like the seats! Also, the steering wheel and the shift cover leather with the red stiching looks good. Where did you get those (cover and wheel)? It looks like the steering wheel is a lot closer than stock. Is it or does it just look that way?

chaos_cascade

The leather ones came out really nice and those Alcantara seats look just awesome. I love the way that stuff feels and it doesn't get as hot as leather.
:D

They must have been crazy expensive to have made though. Somebody is selling just a pair here on Craigslist for $4,200.00. :doh:

Landon

good job man! your seats just look amazing. i really just wanna sit in them. lol. the question i have- what did you total cost turn out to be? i really need to do this on my car and think if i find a good source of material that it shouldn't set me back to much so looking for possible amounts.

mike325ci

Dan, oh wow!!!! Looks *awesome* and in that installed photo, the color looks like a perfect match with the stock gray interior color!

Was it an auto upholstery shop, or a custom auto shop (the shops around here that do it are those that cater to old hot rods and classic car restorations, and they do want a pretty penny for such work)?

I considered buying the leather set from the same seller on eBay for my rear seats (had a hole in it), but decided to source a nice used one off a GT-S (I think from someone parting out his car on C.net?) and put that on my car instead. Can you believe I removed and installed the covers without hog ring pliers? Just used a regular plier. My hands were aching for a week, LOL. ><

Anyways, the side bolster on my driver's side has a little tear in it too, so was rethinking the leather seat cover option, so I looked up this thread... I think I'll pass on those, then. I wonder if a shop can match the leather on just the bolster and replace just that, as the rest of the seat is fine (and passenger side is perfectly fine).

turbo4wd

Landon,
The shop I went thru is a local upholstery shop that works mainly on auto & marine applications. I got several quotes from other shops, some as low as $1000 for material and labor, some as high as $2000 JUST for labor so if possible, get quotes from as many places as possible and most importantly, check out their work. Turnaround time may also play a factor for some people as well..

Mike,
To try to replace the bolster, the shop would have to pull apart most of the seat skin so you may not save that much in terms of labor cost - probably just material cost. But even then its a gamble trying to match it.. If the tear isn't huge, you might be able to have the shop do a nice repair job to the tear itself.

And yes you're crazy for using regular pliers.. lol