Switch to full style
For everything related to the inside of the car!!
Post a reply

Re: 185 A/C issues on 205 swap

Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:56 pm

This is the next project I am going to dive into. On the note of the idle up VSV. I just used the 205 one. When I jump the compressor it works the idle up as it should. I just extended the wires and changed the plug for the 205 connector.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:22 pm

CMS-GT4 wrote:This is the next project I am going to dive into. On the note of the idle up VSV. I just used the 205 one. When I jump the compressor it works the idle up as it should. I just extended the wires and changed the plug for the 205 connector.
That's what I should have done on my swap - leave the A/C amp in charge of it instead of the ECU...

-Charlie

Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:34 pm

So this is priority on my list now. I was hoping that someone else would have solved it by now, but I need to get my interior together before it gets cold here and I don't want to have to take it out ever again. I have electronic bgbs for both the 205 and 185. The printed 185 bgb has nicer diagrams to look at but of course that was lost in my whole painter drama.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:45 pm

Here are the A/C pages I have from the 205 bgb. So I know that removing the act wire from the ecu will allow the clutch to engage, but of course the engine runs poor. From the diagram it looks like the amplifier is sending a signal to the ecu. If I can figure out what this signal is, I might get closer to solving this.

Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:21 pm

So I unplugged the ACT wire and the clutch did not kick on. Not sure why. Its been some time since I tested this but I assume the system is still full. I need to figure out how to trip it again see if it will operate on its own. Also I took a reading at the act wire. It was sending something like 32-36 mv to the ecu. I am not 100% I was testing it right.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:15 am

So as a last resort, what is it we can wire a switch into to manually turn on the A/C?

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:41 pm

I found the info on manually making your A/C jump.
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showth ... -your-swap!

I saw this post by Tweak as well.
Also I wanted to talk about A/C wiring. Usually the a/c wiring is pretty similar and you can trace the wires out with a mulitmeter. Most Toyotas use an a/c "amplifier". However, some of the new ones skip the a/c amplifier and are run directly from the ECU! In this case you will need the a/c system diagram from your car, and lengthen the wires from where they used to go to the a/c amplifier so that they now go to the ECU. Usually the wire designations are the same so it's not too hard.

So I will be messing with this over the next week. So I am wondering if I just take the wire form the ecu that goes to the AMP and send it directly to the clutch to engage it. I am going to try a 12V source on the clutch first then go from there.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Still working on it, but I ran across this thread that may be helpful.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=728

Mon May 21, 2012 2:11 am

This is saying the amplifier only needs a tach signal to work.

viewtopic.php?t=22694

I am back to working on this cause I don't think anyone will mess with it, and its going to be very hot here.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:36 pm

This thread claims the ACT wire is just a signal from the ecu to the amp to turn it on.
I need to see if I can get a reading of this wire to see what kind of signal it sends or gets.
http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-2-mr2-sw20 ... ttent.html

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:39 pm

So I pulled the ACT wire, and my idle up comes on. I hear the relay for the compressor kicking ever other second. The magnetic clutch is not engaging though. I see it budge a couple mm every now and then, but some reason its not switching over. I made sure it was topped off with 134a. So I am messing with this right now. Any suggestions?

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:51 am

So I applied power to the compressor and it kicked on. The issue is it wil not operate normally. The relays just click. I swapped the fan relay over to see if it was a bad relay and it just clicked too. Back to the drawing board.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:45 am

when i did a 205 swap on an at200 all i did was use power line from i think the LED lead wire from the heater control unit. This only came on when the ac button was turned on. Then i used this power signal to turn the ac mag clutch relay on and off. This tripped the mag clutch on the compressor, thus the compressor turned on and off when the ac button was turned on and off. the idle up and everything else worked on its own, this may have been due to the fact that id was still in a 6th gen.

The fans i had already wired up so they would be on all the time, but iirc if the fans are on a factory 6th gen relay set up they should have turned on and off as they normally do when the ac is turned on and off.

iirc again the mgc line that grounds out and trips the ac mag relay wasnt grounding out... so instead of using something that grounded out to trip the relay i just used something that gave power to trip the relay (the pin on the relay that usually gets power was instead connected to a ground, in the 205 relay box #5 has some fan relays that have a ground line)

not sure if this helps.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:45 am

double post

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:17 pm

If I can get this compressor to kick on again, I may try that. Thanks. I used to get ti to turn on with this method, so now I have to figure out why its not now.
Post a reply