Rad Fan Wiring

For everything related to the inside of the car!!

Rad Fan Wiring

Postby erixon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Hey guys,

So I am having somewhat of an issue with my rad fan. The guy who did the swap never hooked the fan up properly, he wired it to the ignition coil. I am somewhat unfamiliar to how its wired in, I have done all the work successful so far, just learning as I go along. Can someone tell me the process of wiring up the fan properly, so it kicks in when it is supposed to?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
erixon
Club Member

Postby Pechin0351 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:37 am

Well, on my 185, I delved deep into the fan wiring a little while back and found that you have a mass of garbage that kicks that fan on. There are 2 relays and a fuse to compete with in the fuse box, plus the sensor on the bottom of the radiator that controls the main fan relay, when the coolant is cold that sensor closes the loop which turns off the relay, when hot, the circuit on the sensor side opens, making the relay allow power to go to the fan... Some would say wiring a switch to the fan would make a novices life easier... I like the auto on shit myself... Happy to help with questions if I can
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same. So help me god!
Pechin0351
Club Member

Postby ulis_m86 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:41 am

and you also have an ac sensor cut off switch somewhere by firewall passenger side make sure thats connected otherwise itll be an open in the circuit and keep the fan running constant.
ulis_m86
Club Member

Re: Rad Fan Wiring

Postby dkpain » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 am

where is this a/c sensor switch? i just removed the air conditioning in my 92 RC and the rad fans run constant as soon as the key is even turned to accessories on position.
dkpain
Club Member

Postby Pechin0351 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:30 am

If you look near where the AC lines went into the firewall, there should be a plug on your wiring harness that has (4 pins on mine which is USA wiring harness) that is what you need to jumper.
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same. So help me god!
Pechin0351
Club Member

Postby dkpain » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:02 am

Found it. Thanks. luckily i still had the old hard lines. So i found the switch and put back in place. so now the fans are off. Since I'm racing the car, before the car heads out i pull the switch to turn on the fans full time. Really helps the temperatures.
dkpain
Club Member

Postby FC Zach » Tue May 28, 2013 3:13 pm

This info has been extremely helpful, I've been trying to diagnose the issue with my fans getting constant power with ignition on for little over a month now. I never considered the AC pressure switch to be the culprit!
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
FC Zach
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Return to Audio / Wiring / Interior