Crazy sunroof!

arj

My 88 came with the non-functioning sunroof. When I got it apart, one side was bent and broken, as if someone had sat on the roof while it was tilted up.
I replaced the frame/mechanism with junkyard parts, and everything now manually works smoothly. But with the motor hooked up, the slide switch tilts the roof and opens it 3/4 of the way, and the tilt switch only tries to work with the roof 3/4 open.
Something is backwards... But what?

arj

I finally figured it out, and it now works correctly. Can someone with a factory shop manual tell me if installation of the upholstered interior sunroof panel is supposed to be the last step of putting the sunroof back together?

Rick89GTS

IIRC, yes.
I'll check tomorrow night to confirm but I'm 99% sure.

Good work getting that sun roof apart and back together again. What was the hardest part? I'm gonna have to do that soon....ugh!

arj

I'm not quite sure how I got it to work right... But it almost seems like the motor has a memory for the position that it thinks it's supposed to be in. It didn't work to unplug the motor, and turn it manually to a different position. As soon as the motor was plugged back in, the same problem was still there.

What ended up working was to unbolt the motor (but leave it plugged in), and install another motor (not plugged in), and adjust the position manually. It took many swaps between the two motors (without unplugging the first one), to get it to work right. There must be an easier way...

To anyone who's going to take their roof apart... Label the location of all the shims, plan on it taking longer than you think, and read the shop manual first, so that you'll hopefully have an easier time than I did!