Boost gauge light

Landon

hey guys, so with my new gauges i am supposed to have white during the day and amber at night. i have the 12v accessory wire spliced into the cig lighter and then i had the 'night time' power into the ash tray light. problem. if my dash lights are all the way off is the only time i get amber color in my gauges. i've done an bunch of messing around and i can get it to be white, turn on the lights, it turns amber, but then if i cycle the switch off and then back on it turns white and stays that way till i disconnect the wire and start over. any ideas? i should be able to get this but its confusing the hell out of me. let me know if you have ideas.

phattyduck

What type of gauges are they?

You probably hooked the illumination wire up to the wrong connection on the ash tray light. The Toyota lighting uses a 'variable ground' connection. When the lights are all the way down, the wire for the 'ground' side of the lights goes up to 12V, and when they lights are up, the 'ground' side goes towards 0V. Hook up the illumination wire to the other connection on the ash tray light...

-Charlie

Landon

yeah? you see the thing is it that it worked with my old gauge. so i found out today that the 2 12v power wires need to go to separate sources. one to ing 12v and one to batt 12v. we'll see what happens.