aftermarked cd player

cameron2

i didnt read up on the subject until after i cut the stock harness apart, and tried to hardwire my new deck into the car. :doh: i have the metra harness now but i need to replace the stock harness for it to work. where do i find it?

anything would be helpful

Practical

You can get a replacement for the stock connector. It's a special order from Metra, 71-1761. Assuming that your car did not come with System 10.

But that may not solve your problem. The Metra replacement has different wiring colors that the Toyota harness. You will need the original connector to find out which wire is which.

Of course, if you know which wire is which, then you don't need any Metra harnesses at all. Then you can just hardwire the aftermarket harness into your car's wiring loom. This is not the recommended procedure, but it is possible.

However, the best you can do is to try to restore your car to original with a Metra 71-1761 harness or maybe the Toyota dealer can help you. Did you even ask them yet?

If you go to a professional installer to have them sort it out, make sure they have the patience to determine correct polarity on the speakers.

Rick89GTS

Here's what I did:
Take the Metra harness with you to the junkyard.
Match up plugs to the Metra ends until you get a match.
Add or subtract pins as required (they just push out with a small screwdriver).
Resolder the salvaged plugs back onto your factory wiring harness.

Sounds like a lot of work but it's actually very easy.
Mine's a 89 Celica but the power mirrors control switch plug fit perfectly and
another plug I found under the arm rest console worked flawlessly.
The blue and milky white plugs are the salvaged plugs...
01stereofactorywiringharness.jpg

cameron2

i went to the dealer and the harness is connected to the whole dashboard harness and they wanted $800 for that.. no thanks

i do have the speaker 10 system in the car, and i thought i would just reconnect the wires i cut earler when i discovered the second mistake i made, i cut the wires to close to the plug and i only have a centimeter or so sticking out of it

i was also thinking of going to the junkyard and cutting a harness from another celica where i would have enough room, but how rare is the speaker 10 system harness in the celicas. could i even find one?

so the conclusion i have come up with is to pull the plugs out of the connecter so i would have more room to reconnect the places were i cut them....you say it comes out with a screw driver.. could you go more indepth on that so i dont wreck the connecter please... anything would be helpful once again, and if this dosnt work i will have to take it to a proffessional.

InitialD93

???? why all this trouble. just get on google and look for a toyota radio harness diagram that tells u what wire is what... thats how i hooked mine up. i just cut and spliced the wire from the factory harness to the wires on the deck... no problems.

Rick89GTS

cameron2":1jf14kol said:
.......you say it comes out with a screw driver.. could you go more indepth on that so i dont wreck the connecter please.....
I used a mini-screwdriver from an eyeglasses repair kit. There is a tiny, long tab with a 'tooth' under it that holds the wire in place. Push the small plastic tab down and the wire will be released.

However, if you're not familiar with the re-wiring and color-coding, I'd agree with Dustin. Just hard wire it in.

b0pIT

You can make really good terminal picks witha coat hanger. you cut a striat peice of coathanger to desireed length ( i usually go about 6 in. and give the end a little grip loop) then you grind the tip on a grinding wheel so it becomes almost flat. take a little off the sides and itll fit right in there.

alltracman78

System 10 is hard to find.
However, I don't think the harness is part of the whole dash harness.
It should clip into the dash harness.

If you unplug the system 10 harness, you can use the Metra connector for a reg Celica.

Rick89GTS

b0pIT":3h4fhhpw said:
You can make really good terminal picks witha coat hanger. you cut a striat peice of coathanger to desireed length ( i usually go about 6 in. and give the end a little grip loop) then you grind the tip on a grinding wheel so it becomes almost flat. take a little off the sides and itll fit right in there.

Terminal Pick, so that's what it's called!
My mini-screwdriver works well but good idea nonetheless.