ST165 Speaker Fitment Guide

Killtodie

ok, so, more confusion. I went and bought Kenwood KFC-1093PS. Crutchfield says the Cutout Diameter is 3 11/16 inches.

Your measurements say is just over 4 inches but the speaker will not fit. I cant trust anyone's measurements and half of these dont have template cutouts.

ZeroDrift

Killtodie":1gx420ku said:
ok, so, more confusion. I went and bought Kenwood KFC-1093PS. Crutchfield says the Cutout Diameter is 3 11/16 inches.

Your measurements say is just over 4 inches but the speaker will not fit. I cant trust anyone's measurements and half of these dont have template cutouts.

Don't trust any other measurements regarding what actually fits in these cars. I've actually measured the speaker pods. Most car speaker's dimensions on the box are iffy at best, and you'd have to search for measurements/dimensions on the factories website. I think I need to clarify the cut out dimension on my list. I've added some clarification to the list on the first page.

I hope this helps.

Killtodie

good job on the post and better size description, can you also list the inch fractions too please, like 3 1/16 as well as 3.063

Killtodie

that's what Ive been doing so far, but having it already there makes it easier at a glance. all sites post in fractions anyway.

just a suggestion

Killtodie

I did more looking around this weekend and decided to get a set of JL audio speakers. 3.5 up front and 5.25 in the rear.
The fronts will fit right in and the rears will need a little bit of modding the box to get them to fit.

For me this will be simpler, no 2way 4" speakers fit up front, I dont want to mess with component or spend extra time modifying the box.

I'll order them when I get a chance and post the updates here later

Killtodie

I was looking around for some more speakers, what do you think

Polk audio vs. JL Audio

Particularly Polk Audio DXi350 vs JL Audio TR350-CXi

Polk is a bit cheaper

ZeroDrift

Killtodie":3vytiih4 said:
I was looking around for some more speakers, what do you think

Polk audio vs. JL Audio

Particularly Polk Audio DXi350 vs JL Audio TR350-CXi

Polk is a bit cheaper

While audio is greatly based upon personal preferences, this is one scenario where using the box volumes can determine one speaker is a better fit than another. Look up speaker/box calculations and enter the specs of the speaker and check which is closer to the OEM pod. When calculating for the front, this would be under the assumption that the passive speaker is blocked of or 'fixed' so that it does not move. I don't have enough experience with the passive speakers to really advise much on the matter.

Here is a link that can help: http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Tutorial/SpeakerBox/

MrMcQuacker

Just wanted to mention. Because I had nothing better to do on a day off. I started working on customizing my front and back speakers to accept larger ones. I was able to put 4" speakers in the front and 5.25" speakers in the rear. I did have to cut out some plastic to get it to fit properly but yea, it was pretty simple in doing so. I will later on try and make custom boxes for the rear and front to accept larger speakers :). Kinda want to be able to have 6x9 in the rear and at least 5" in the front