Wiring harness wire

Terracar

This may just be a moronic question, so I apologize if it is, but I have not found anything definitive on the interwebs.

I have a few ideas that I am tossing around and a few of those ideas will require me rebuilding/building a wire harness from scratch. These harnesses would be very similar to the engine harness that you need when performing swaps etc.

So the question is: What type of wire? I have read there is some serious wire that meets xxx standards that many race teams use, do I need to use this type or ?

Basically I plan on getting some reels of wire and away I go with the harness. Any input?

-Terracar

celigts

This would be an interesting question to hear about.

Sorry if it's jacking your topic but where can I find the parts to rebuild a harness.

Most of the connectors (except the AFM) are out there, just not sure
where. I suppose that people who do the harness rewiring know where
but arent telling ...... What would really be nice to find is
the solid/stripe wires that Toyota has versus the solid color only wires. I dont think the Toyota
wiring manuals have the wire guages :( So cant help you there.

celigts

I'll definitely look into dr tweak. I've asked for a quote and he wants I believe around 3-500 to have a harness built from scratch.

Terracar

Yeah, my main question is what wire to use, not necessarily the gauge. Standard run of the mill wire that you can find anywhere or is there a special kind?

Yeah and Tweak has most of the connectors which is very handy.

-Terracar

concealer404

Terracar":1valkk09 said:
Yeah, my main question is what wire to use, not necessarily the gauge. Standard run of the mill wire that you can find anywhere or is there a special kind?

Yeah and Tweak has most of the connectors which is very handy.

-Terracar

If you want it to be as durable as the OEM harness, it's special stuff, not what you buy at RadioShack.

DIYAutotune uses TXL Grade wire.

Good sources:

Waytek Wire
riwire.com
http://www.terminalsupplyco.com/