Air Fresheners...and Carpet Dye

toayoztan

Alright, so this is a little out there, but let's talk about air fresheners.

I know, depending on what smell/aroma you want, it depends on what you'll get but...

What brand you guys recommend? Any air freshener die hards actually order any particular brand online?

How about the new car smell?

I used to use Air Spencer, squash scent, all the time. It was pretty big in the "tuner" community around here back in the days. It smells like soap and citrus hah.

I may go this squash route, but it's pretty potent stuff and I'm not sure if I want to stick it in my car.

What do you all say?

Bryan

celigts

Lol!! Such a random topic. I don't explore car fresheners often. Kind of see it as not very important but when I do I get the new car smell. So damn good

toayoztan

Have you actually found a brand or air freshener that smells like new car smell? A bunch of them can be crap.

Some people suggest putting in fresh vinyl plastic or tile beneath your seat, as it's the outgassing of the plastic/vinyl that gives the smell. But then you hear it's toxic...so I'm not sure.

Or do people simply use febreeze? lol

Since I'm cleaning the crap out of my alltrac's interior, I'd like to make it smell nice in there too instead of cleanin products...although now it smells better than what it used to (old, musty).

Bryan

celigts

I don't know haha. It's the tree shaped blue ones labeled new car smell. Its amazing!!!!!!!!! I won't buy any other smell lol

I'd like to do the same. Priced out a carpet shampooing :) but I have so much dust in my area it's hard to keep it in clean condish. Unless have the vents set to interior only and not open for outside air.

GT4times2

Nothing beats the fresh scent of your own fart. It's free and you never run out of it.. :p

On a serious note, I like the little trees you get from Walmart, but they don't last long in the heat. Sometimes, I try putting them under the seats to extract more out of them. My sister has these little scented bags that hang on her rear view mirror, in her Scion tC that she gets at a local gas station. They last longer and smell good. I will check them out.

Bryan,

What method are you using to clean your carpet?
1. Are you taking it out & using a spray cleaner, scrub brush and pressure clean?
2. Steam clean?
3. Or getting a Rug Doctor to suck it out?

I need to do mine too, sometime this year. :oops:

toayoztan

My carpet is already out of the car, as it's still gutted (I need to put the interior back in!).

I'm not sure what I plan to do yet. My carpet was in pretty good shape, until a little burn looking mark on the front passenger, i'm not sure how that happened, but I'm a little pissed about that.

I would like to actually use some rug doctor, but I'm not sure how much that'll help. I was thinking of just hanging it up at the car wash, shampoo it, and pressure wash it down.

Bryan

toayoztan

Dying it certainly would help make the carpet look more uniform and less dirty hah.

If there's a good (almost pro-quality-like) solution, I'd be down for it too.

Bryan

GT4times2

Bryan,

I watched the video. Thanks. Since your carpet is already out, you can skip a few steps and save money in the process. I've removed and washed carpets in other cars in the past, and used good ole detergent (Pref. Tide) to scrub/shampoo it. I then used a pressure washer to remove all the dirt/grease etc. I let it sun dry (fastest way). It dried in an hour or so. (hot, south Fla sun will get'er done)

The dying part, I haven't done yet. I have dyed other things, but no carpet. I usually prefer to fill a tub or a big bin with the dye and water to make sure it all goes well vs spraying. The thing with the carpet being so large is finding something that will be big enough to soak the carpet in. I will do more research online about other methods of dyeing. I want my carpet to be a darker shade of gray. More of a charcoal or close to factory seat colors. I will post what I find.

CSAlltrac

I've always liked fresheners. I found one that is my new favorite. It's gold canyon ginger lime. It's very strong at first but after it fades away a bit it's amazing.

toayoztan

So in that link above, sorry for the dumb question, but is that actually fabric "paint" onto the carpet to change the color or just a dye in a spray application.

I can't help but imagine the fiber being very crispy and would scrape/flake off after a good amount of use hah.

Bryan

GT4times2

Now that I remember, I had a Maxima years ago and I did dye some fabric with a spray dye (from SEM from what I can remember). I felt crispy for a while, then softened. What's suggested is to brush it (with a clean brush of course) as you apply it to prevent the crispy feel. It won't eliminate it completely, but it'll lessen the crispy feel. Over time it softens. That's why I prefer submerging (in dye and water) whatever fabric I'm dyeing versus spraying. It spreads out evenly and there are less "crispy" issues to deal with. I'm doing more research on things. I will continue to share what I find.

Hotrodhendrix

I did this as mine had stains but was in decent shape for its age. DO not try to use fabric dyes as our carpet is not your average fabric. SEM and Duplicolor both sale "fabric dye" in a spray can. I used Duplicolor black as it was available locally. Took 3 cans if I remember correctly and at 5 bucks a pop the total cost was 15. Pressure washed, let dry, then spray away. You will figure out how to blend it so no strips show up.

After the results seem pretty good for the cheap fix. It was a bit crispy at first but 2min and a bruch later it was fine (became slightly lighter). Hard to say how long it will last as I have not driven the car in years. The interior roof pieces/headliner also got duplicolored but with dark grey. Came out really nice with the dyed black seats and door inserts... I will have to snap a pick when I get it all cleaned up.

~James

Hotrodhendrix

toayoztan":1kc3l65e said:
I'm guessing the dye method failure was from personal experience?

Bryan

LOL yes. Luckily I tried the trunk carpet first. The only thing it did do was give the grey carpet a nice purple tint.

~James

toayoztan

Yeah...that's no good lol.

Damn, it is annoying at times when replacement stuff just isn't readily available for us.

I'm having a hard time tracking rear rotors locally.

Might have to resort to ordering online.

Bryan

mkchris89

digging up old thread but what if you were to use a big plastic pool like the ones at walmart for 20 bucks and mix dye and water kinda like tiedye t-shirts?

CMS-GT4

I hate most scents. I would use oder free fabreeze to kill any smells in the car.
I thought about dying my carpet, but I wonder if you could buy the loose carpet and glue it down over the molded carpet. I think I would prefer this over gluing it to the base of the car.