short lights problem

Conan

I've noticed a weird thing happening occasionally after turning on the lights. It has been bothering me for a few months but it's happening very randomly and I can't be sure when it will next time.

The thing is that the headlights open, corners light up but the headlamps themselves are OFF and the long light icon comes up on the dash. If I swich to long lights with the lever - they work, back to short - darkness. After some random driving time the dash icon disappears and the short lights are back on again.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

TomsGT4

Sounds like a loose wire.
You own an ST185? Can't tell, not in your sig.

But anyway, check the attached wiring diagram and trace from the low beam filament to the junction box.
There might be a loose wire at the junction box or at a splice point.
Try keeping the low/short lights on & wiggle the wires at these points with your fingers.
If the low beams come on or go off when you move a wire, you found your problem.

Attachments

• 90 Alltrac headlight EWD.pdf
    37.9 KB · Views: 86

Conan

Gary":y7bzwe78 said:
What picture?
I don't see any picture in his sig. :shrug:
Actually, there is no sig at all.

Hey, I do have a sig! :) I though it will be updated automatically in my old posts...

Gary

Conan, I didn't see the sig when I post that. :wink:

Minde_Kai, The picture in Conan's avatar is a the Castrol GT4.
I don't think he has that rally car. And I don't think Dustin has a camel in his avatar will ride a real turbo camel.

My point is, people should enter car and location in the sig. That would help a lot when trying to solve the problem.
That why this we have this sticky:
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=81

TomsGT4

Gary":2fzusrdl said:
Minde_Kai, The picture in Conan's avatar is a the Castrol GT4.
I don't think he has that rally car. And I don't think Dustin has a camel in his avatar will ride a real turbo camel.

^^^
:rofl: What?
Don't them camels push at least 2 psi?
But wait, it's llama power!!

Conan

TomsGT4":jeiomkzb said:
Sounds like a loose wire.
But anyway, check the attached wiring diagram and trace from the low beam filament to the junction box.
There might be a loose wire at the junction box or at a splice point.
Try keeping the low/short lights on & wiggle the wires at these points with your fingers.
If the low beams come on or go off when you move a wire, you found your problem.

Thanks, I will be looking.
Honestly though, I don't think it's a wire because the lights won't go off when driving or anything if they are already on. It's just that sometimes when I turn them on, there are no low beams for a while, and when they are back on they won't disappear until I shut them down :shrug:
I hope that makes sense :?

A

Anonymous

Gary":3l50c1yj said:
Minde_Kai, The picture in Conan's avatar is a the Castrol GT4. I don't think he has that rally car. And I don't think Dustin has a camel in his avatar will ride a real turbo camel.
:D I am destroyed :) besides, my nickname is Minde_Kei :p

TomsGT4

I had a problem once where once the engine heated up an electrical problem went away.
It occurred because metal expands as it heats making a better contact/connection within the wiring harness.

Of course electrical problems sometimes employ ghosts & gremlins.
So it really could be something else as well.