NRG Qick Release install...

RallyX-GT4

I found some people mentioning that they have installed these, but not how involved it is. I was thinking of getting the 2.5 version. That being said, an adapter is still required, correct? So I guess I'm wondering should I get the NRG adapter or the one offered by Sparco?
Also, with the need for the adapter, were you still able to retain the horn function?

Thanks!

underscore

Yes, you still need an adapter. Eventually I want to get a slim adapter and slim release because I don't like having the wheel so far from the indicator/wipers.

RallyX-GT4

Thank you, that makes sense. In that respect, I guess the NRG piece would be nice since it is slimmer. So is this a plug-and-play piece, or is there some "modification" necessary (especially with regard to retaking horn functionality)?

underscore

I believe that everything should be plug and play (be sure to pull the fuse before you start anything or you'll have a nasty surprise) as it looks like all the NRG quick releases have wiring for a horn. You shouldn't need anything other than some screwdrivers and rachets.

RallyX-GT4

All right, looks like that's the route I'll be going then. I'll keep this thread updated with what I find. Might even do a small write-up...

klue

RallyX-GT4":t1gkn6mg said:
All right, looks like that's the route I'll be going then. I'll keep this thread updated with what I find. Might even do a small write-up...

That would be nice, I plan to get one this season

Spectra1

The horn is not plug and play and requires some serious work to get it going. The contacts are only present from the steering wheel to the hub. From there you have to do some custom work as the factory clock spring does not connect easily. If you dont mind one easy solution is to just wrap a phone cord around the hub. Im sorry if none of this makes sense im on my phone trying to type all this. Later i can explain better if someting does not make sense. I did it both ways so i can probably post some pic later to.

RallyX-GT4

Thank you - that is exactly what I was afraid of. Yes, the connection between the quick-release portion seems well thought out and straight forward. However, I don't see anything mentioned about the adapter needed to amount the quick release and how an electrical contact is maintained through an assembly that spins... So yeah, I think I see what your getting at - although a phone cord is NOT going to happen ; )

underscore

assembly that spins? All the spinning should be taken care of by the wiring that stays in the car and everything you're doing is fixed. IIRC there's one or two spade connectors that you'll unplug from the stock horn, then you plug those into the new quick release and then plug the other side of your quick release to your wheel. The quick release should have its own contacts that make contact when you put the wheel back on, as it's only supposed to fit one way.

RallyX-GT4

Yes, that makes sense as well. I'm just wondering how contact is maintained through the adapter that the quick-release assembly attaches to. Is there a hole that the wire feeds through? If so, then it has to twist as the wheel turns (potentially 2 1/2 turns from one direction to the other). Who knows, maybe I'm just over-thinking things...

underscore

The moving section of the wiring is already taken care of, the wires that the wheel plug into move with the steering shaft already. Typically the stock wires pass through the hub adapter to be (in your case) plugged into the quick release. The end of the wires that plug into the wheel, the steering shaft and the wheel itself have no movement relative to one another when you turn the wheel.

Spectra1

Trust me it does not work. It can be done but it is far from plug and play.... i know because a actually have the nrg quick release and have already installed one. Ill post pics later so everyone can see.

phattyduck

If you are able to get the horn to work with an aftermarket steering wheel/hub, then you can get the NRG quick release to work. The quick release comes with a few parts that allow you to make it work.

Mind you - my experience is on a non-airbag wheel, so you ST185 guys might have a different experience.

Direct from NRG, what you might have to do:
http://www.getnrg.com/products/support/questions

-Charlie

underscore

Did the 18x ever come with an airbag? That NRG explanation seems overly complicated, all I had to do to install my wheel was remove the center pad and unplug the horn button, unbolt the wheel, bolt on the hub adapter, screw on the wheel, and plug in the horn. It took all of 5 minutes since the 18x came with spade connectors for the horn already.

Spectra1

The issue I found was that the NRG hub adapter compressed the clock spring housing making it bind. It is through the clock spring housing that the stock steering wheel was able to connect the horn to the car. To fit the adapter you needed to remove the clock spring and hence the issue. What I had to do was grind away some of the outside rim of the adapter and insert a spacer to bring the adapter farther away from the clock spring housing. I then needed to bend the contacts on the clock spring to be able to have enough clearance to attach the electrical connectors to the quick release wiring. When all this was finished I had a working horn. Im sure there is an easier way of doing this but at the time I could not see any other way. Again the issue is the hub adapter binds with the clock spring housing which is what is needed to connect the oem steering wheel wiring to the car. Hope that explanation helps alittle.