novice needs help - new HU in '90 ST185

applor

Hello
I've been reading the forums a fair bit here but this is my first post.
I recently bought a 1990 ST185 import from Japan (I live in Australia) and I want to replace it with a Pioneer DEH3750MP HU that I've bought.
All this talk about system10 and harnesses is a bit confusing as I have no experience with replacing a stereo before.

How do I find out if my car has this 'system 10' and does that harness adaptor work with that Pioneer HU?
Thankyou

Gary

Do you have woofers in the doors?
If not, you don't have the system 10.
It should also say System 10 there.

If you don't have a system 10, a regular Toyota harness (not Metra 70-8112) should work fine.

toyotaluver

speakers in your doors? if yes then you have system 10, thats all i could help with for now.
but basically there are 2 setups the alltracs had system 10 and non system 10, you need to get a harness that will plug in to the cars wiring for all the speakers and that will adapt to the new HU you have so everything will function right.
if im wrong someone will chime in.. :)

applor

I know I have 2 small speakers at the top front corner of the door and im pretty sure I have another 2 large speakers in the door. Not sure if they are subs, no way to test them yet.
I also have another 2 large speakers in the back next to the seats.
I will be able to check in just over an hour when I finish work and get to my car, and if you say it says system10 on them, no worries.
I'll post back then with confirmation.
Thankyou for your quick replies.

applor

Ok so I had a look at the setup. I definately have the subs in the doors. It has a badge next to it that says '(something) Live Sound System' and then lists 5 different speakers, so I'd say thats the system 10. Now I just need Metra Harness 70-8112 and I'm all set, correct?
Thankyou

A

Anonymous

mind you, big_c_tothe_z said that he needed a different clip, from a 92 model or something to use it. Guessing I will be in the same situation?
This could be a problem. It can be a pain living in a place like Australia because we don't have access to the parts you guys do - I already have to buy that harness from the US...