Battery tender and trunk mounted battery

CMS-GT4

So has anyone relocated their battery and used a battery tender? I am curious about some of the setups out there. I don't drive my car very much so I picked up a tender and quick release cable.

My plan so far is the wire in the quick cable to my battery terminals and run it to the outside of the car somehow so I can unplug and go. I considered drilling a hole or finding a grommet I can go through for the cable. I was wanting to see if anyone else had solutions before I got into the project too far.

When I ran my battery in the hatch, I fed the charger wire through the drain hole at the bottom (there are on each side between the rear bumper & tire and already have grommets)

Hotrodhendrix

Mine is just a quick disconnect and I set the tender in the trunk then shut it. I did consider mounting the tender where the stock jack went and running the quick disconnect down some how but havnt really found a need to.

~james

celigts

What's a tender haha. I made a racket to mount my plastic battery box... I'd have to take a pic later of it installed.

CMS-GT4

A tender is a low rate charger that keeps your battery from going dead or being over charged. Needed if you don't drive your car a lot and don't want to unplug it all the time. I am going to try pats method and see if I can find a path in there to mount the plug end. They say not to use an extension cord with these so mine would not make it to the car.

phattyduck

CMS-GT4":31coz5q0 said:
They say not to use an extension cord with these so mine would not make it to the car.
I have an extension cord for my battery tender that I bought directly from them. I used to keep a car parked on a tender outside, around 30' from the nearest outlet and it kept the battery up just fine.

My suggestion would be to connect the ring terminal version to your front (engine bay) battery connections and have it sit in the front lower grill opening. Easy to access and generally hard to see.

-Charlie

CMS-GT4

I only ground to the rear chassis. I did not run one from the front. Should I had? I have not had issues that I am aware of.

phattyduck

CMS-GT4":26aqi2dr said:
I only ground to the rear chassis. I did not run one from the front. Should I had? I have not had issues that I am aware of.
There should be no need for that, especially if you chose a good beefy ground spot in the hatch/trunk area.

For the battery tender, you can connect it to the positive connection and one of the engine bay ground points.

-Charlie

zero06

I thought about doing the same, thought it would be slick to have a connector it inside the fuel door, but then realized how horrible of an idea that is.

CSAlltrac

This is my current setup. Just a crap cell pic W/ flash so its extra poopy. Odyssey P680. I use a Battery Tender Jr when the car is parked. Its a float charger so after the battery is full it just monitors it, switches to charge mode automatically when needed. The two clips on top are the connection points, I just connect them and close the hatch. I was going to run a "quick connect" but decided its not worth it as well as not wanting the plug exposed to the elements when the car is driven.