Real Leather Seat Covers

For everything related to the inside of the car!!

Re: Real Leather Seat Covers

Postby FC Zach » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:34 pm

As for the broken tether, what about a small bungee cord?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
FC Zach
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby yyonline » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:17 am

Slightly related question - how does one get the headrests and the plastic piece off on the rear of the seat? If you're able to post some photos or tips, it would be greatly appreciated.
1992 Toyota Celica all-trac (the dream car)
1993 Toyota Celica ST (the efficient daily driver)
2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track (the fun daily driver)
yyonline
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby FC Zach » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:30 pm

Use a finesse-stick (or carefully with a flathead screwdriver) to push the lower front of the headrest boots off the seatback cover. . Once you have that separated, you can remove the headrest. Notice there's two tabs on the front of each side, that's what you'll push in as you lift upwards on the boots.

Then you'll see two screws on the top corners of the seatback cover. .

Once those are removed all I can say from there is good luck. . It's a horrible design because you need to remove the plastic headrest adjuster in order to slide the seatback cover up and off but unfortunately to access the bottom of the adjuster, you ideally need the the cover off. . What I did was carefully bend the metal tab up.
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby EvilStig » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:02 am

Well I have officially botched this job quite badly at this point...

Did you have any trouble getting the seat cover to stretch down all the way over the wings, and up around the back to secure it? Mine has some foam still showing, and is missing the little tab used to tension that corner of the cover. I also managed to rip the sleeve out of the bottom while trying to attach it to the seat back. https://imgur.com/a/Ou8uJ

I'm not sure yet if I should approach the seller about this or just bite the bullet and take it to an upholstery shop to see if they can fix it for me.
EvilStig
Club Member

Postby FC Zach » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:34 am

EvilStig wrote:Well I have officially botched this job quite badly at this point...

Did you have any trouble getting the seat cover to stretch down all the way over the wings, and up around the back to secure it?

I had no trouble with the fronts at all, my only complaint was the difference in the flap that folds around and underneath the backside of the seat bottom.

EvilStig wrote:Mine has some foam still showing, and is missing the little tab used to tension that corner of the cover. I also managed to rip the sleeve out of the bottom while trying to attach it to the seat back.

You did say you added foam to your seat back/s, I'm sure you're fighting that. As for the tabs used to tension the lower seat back corners. . . I noticed that too but once I got to moving along I found it somewhat redundant (the plastic seat back cover hides this area anyways).

EvilStig wrote:I'm not sure yet if I should approach the seller about this or just bite the bullet and take it to an upholstery shop to see if they can fix it for me.

To avoid any further damage I'd let a pro finish what you've started.
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby 8BitBrody » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:02 pm

I'm interested to see how this turns out once you get the new versions. I might have to save up to get some of these for my car!
8BitBrody
Club Member

Postby EvilStig » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 pm

FC Zach wrote:You did say you added foam to your seat back/s, I'm sure you're fighting that. As for the tabs used to tension the lower seat back corners. . . I noticed that too but once I got to moving along I found it somewhat redundant (the plastic seat back cover hides this area anyways).

To avoid any further damage I'd let a pro finish what you've started.

Nah this was without the extra foam.

I'll call around and see.
EvilStig
Club Member

Postby EvilStig » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:22 pm

Update!

New headrest covers arrived based off the template ostensibly provided by FC Zach, and they fit beautifully. Took some work to get them properly fit around the foam since it's a tight fit, used some steam to get it stretched into place.

Took the time to restore the boots and backing, and you can really tell the color difference now, although I still think it looks nice: https://imgur.com/a/UTYpDfy

I actually reached out to the guy to order a second set of back rest covers, figuring the cost would be cheaper than going to an upholstery shop, and with sufficient extra parts and materials I could then modify them myself if necessary and not worry about ruining my only set. That somewhat backfired when he made a change to the template, and the new covers he sent were constructed differently and would no longer attach to the seatback frame. I sent him feedback on that ( https://i.imgur.com/bgNy79p.jpg ) and we're now discussing shipping these new covers back to have them modified or remade. He's seemed open to re-doing them with stronger material at the outer wire sleeves, and I've been offering to send him my OEM covers to use as a reference or template if he wants, but so far her hasn't bitten on that.

I'll keep you updated as things change.
EvilStig
Club Member

Postby FC Zach » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Nice! I got the rest of mine in the other day and so far I've only got the headrest on, they fit nicely :) I hope to finish the rear seats tomorrow.

As far as the color difference. . I think it's a nice contrast. I'd rather have that than a color that's close but not close enough.
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby EvilStig » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:55 pm

FC Zach wrote:Nice! I got the rest of mine in the other day and so far I've only got the headrest on, they fit nicely :) I hope to finish the rear seats tomorrow.

As far as the color difference. . I think it's a nice contrast. I'd rather have that than a color that's close but not close enough.

I can agree on that, although it does make me wish for more coordinated matching of other parts like the armrest and steering wheel cover.
EvilStig
Club Member

Postby FC Zach » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:57 pm

I installed the rear set yesterday and with little effort, all corrections were made to the troubled areas I pointed out. I'm gonna leave these alone for a couple weeks before steaming the leather so ignore the wrinkles, I'm sure they will look perfect afterwards (I'll take a follow up picture later).

I did have to trim some material (~1/4") off the plastic flap that wedges between the top of the seat back and the carpeted cover but aside from that all went well.

I wish I took pictures of them before installing so unfortunately all I have to share is a low quality pic of them installed.
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Q-Ball » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Looks great! I’m tempted to go bold and get the copper / saddle color leather. Just not sure how it will look against the trim color.
2007 VW GTI - APR Stage II+, Billyboat 3" Downpipe, APR Upgraded HPFP, Neuspeed Intake
1991 Alltrac - Stock for now
Q-Ball
Club Member

Previous

Return to Audio / Wiring / Interior