Installed TWM shortshifter

Smaay

Im not really happy with it...the throw is great, but the amount of force needed to move it sucks...It takes alot of force to shift...i did the install perfectly..whats wrong?

Sounds correct, it shifts like an old musclecar shifter, it will loosen
up a little with use but it is not a snick-snick type of shifter

A heavier shift knob might help (but I have never tried one)

RIalltrac

Ya thats just the breaks, I'm sure a weighted knob would help alot. Mine was pretty tough to get in and out at first, but between it breaking in a bit and just getting used to it I've actually grown to like it very much. Just to make sure, but you installed all the washers to lift the assembly?

SuperWhite92

Yeah, the first thing to check is if it clears the car on the bottomside of the shifter assembly- i.e. check your washers.

The other thing is that the whole concept of a weighted shift knob is to counteract the increase in effort created by altering the pivot point. I recommend getting one. I'm currently saving up, but I sure as heck don't mind the way it feels now. It feels like it has substance. You'll get used to it.

Smaay

yeah i installed all the spacers that came with the kit...i was thinking of installing my 7th gen stock shifter to see how much dofferent it feels..here is some trivia, the stock 7th gen and the TWM below the ball are identical lengths...the 7th gen is 1 inch longer on top...

klue

i was planning on buying a TWM shifter for my car, but i ended up just taking the black extension of the stock shifter, gives much better feel but the throw is still long. I am on a budget so its good enough for now. After i did the mod it took SO MUCH effort to shift, i would push to the right and it woulnt spring back to center itslef if u know what i mean. But now its fine, i guess it just took a while to reseat itself properly and move the grease i put on into the bearing cap.

shoteh

Man I thought I was the only one having problems shifting. I just installed mine in today and I also hate it. i guess it just takes time getting used to. Does anyone here have the twm knob? and did you feel any difference compared to stock? what are the weight difference between stock and the twm's. yea I thought 85 was too much for a knob but if it makes a difference I might consider it.

BlazeKing

I had the same bad feelings when i first installed mine, then i got used to it. Test drove another st-165 a couple of weeks ago.... i would never ever go back. Also having a heavier shift knob does make a difference, hard to say if the TWM shifter is worth it but it might be. My knob is twice as heavy as the stock one and it makes a noticable difference.

BraveUlysses

I've had the TWM shifter for over a year and a half now and still love it. The alltrac shifter is notchy to begin with, it just makes it feel moreso because of all the extra effort required with the shorter shifter.

I've had the adjustable, weighted TWM knob on my car for almost 3 months now, and I do prefer the feel even moreso now. I'm not a big fan of metal shift knobs however, I vastly prefer leather. If I could have sourced a leather weighted shiftknob I would have gone for it.

But I can really shift like hell with the new knob :)

QIK_GT4

klue":1gsd6chf said:
i was planning on buying a TWM shifter for my car, but i ended up just taking the black extension of the stock shifter, gives much better feel but the throw is still long. I am on a budget so its good enough for now. After i did the mod it took SO MUCH effort to shift, i would push to the right and it woulnt spring back to center itslef if u know what i mean. But now its fine, i guess it just took a while to reseat itself properly and move the grease i put on into the bearing cap.

thats what i did too, although it may not make any difference in the throw but it certianly looks much better lol how did you get your off?

alltracman78

Did any of you have studs instead of bolts holding the plastic piece on?
I couldn't use the supplied spacers 'cause I have studs, and they're too short. :x
I stuck some thick washers in there for now. I guess I'll have to cut the studs out one of these days.
Also, the plastic balls were too small inside for the TWM shifter. I had to dremel out the inside a slight bit.
Anyone else have this problem?

klue

QIK---> It was a real bitch, i tried everything. I used a long hard like pic thing, i dont know what its called. A torch to try and burn the rubber :p i tried to cut it off with this carbide cutter i have. Then my dad got home and we muscled it off with two channel locks LOL

I have my shifter installed last year and at first it was stiff but now it's shifting smooth...but I still the throw isn't that much of a difference though

jprine01

I just have 2 things to add,
1. When i first installed it i sort of had the same feelings, it was allot more force/leverage/notchy wasnt sure if i made the right decision buying it. Then after a while of driving, holy crap it makes it so much easyer to drive... the stock one is such a big throw. You get used to the notchyness kind of, but another thought is...

2. The shifter bushings, mine was notchy and when i pulled my engine the rubber bushings that move the trans levers were COMPLETELY gone, I imagine if you install the speedsource bushings (i have but car isnt running again yet) it will help the situation tons.

jprine01

alltracman78":35iyezd1 said:
Did any of you have studs instead of bolts holding the plastic piece on?
I couldn't use the supplied spacers 'cause I have studs, and they're too short. :x
I stuck some thick washers in there for now. I guess I'll have to cut the studs out one of these days.
Also, the plastic balls were too small inside for the TWM shifter. I had to dremel out the inside a slight bit.
Anyone else have this problem?

Oh and i didnt have this problem on my 90 usdm 185

88st165

I installed a twm shifter on my st165 2 days ago and i was alittle dissapointed with the supplied hardware it came with. the instuctions said to put one thick washer and one thin washer on each of the four bolts but my shifter only came with 11 of the same size washers and 2 on each bolt wasnt high enough so i had to go out and get some that would work. next the bolts that the kit came with were too long and would hit a support bracket on the shifter base so i had to cut them. you would think for what you paid for the damn shifter it would atleast have the proper hardware. with that aside i think the performance of the shifter itself is great, much better than stock, only complaint is that it is alittle to low. i might try and find an adjustable knob to maybe raise it a bit. oh and i have the speed source solid brass bushings but still after alittle bit of driving it gets harder to engage in second gear, can it be a linkage problem maybe?

gpmarzan

Sorry for bringing this topic back, but I just had to add that yea I think that the twm shifters are cut too low. My arms arent that long and I hate having to reach down to grab the shift knob. I shouldve never hacked my ae92 corolla short shifter from ebay im using now for my st165. Might not be as short of a throw and better quality than the twm but its better than stock and it still has a long shaft so that you wont have to reach down, while still having a shorter throw. I might just go and buy another one on ebay. :D

BraveUlysses

gpmarzan":3b6lm92w said:
Sorry for bringing this topic back, but I just had to add that yea I think that the twm shifters are cut too low. My arms arent that long and I hate having to reach down to grab the shift knob. I shouldve never hacked my ae92 corolla short shifter from ebay im using now for my st165. Might not be as short of a throw and better quality than the twm but its better than stock and it still has a long shaft so that you wont have to reach down, while still having a shorter throw. I might just go and buy another one on ebay. :D

Maybe you should just take some tall pills ya goddamned midget.

;)

88st165

i bought a "necked" knob from twosrus and it seems like it sits higher on the shifter compaired to the stock knob... for me it allowed much better shifting.....