Do door speakers get wet ever?

EVcelica

I have a focal utopia 3-way system and i put the 6.5 inch woofer in the door and am wondering if they get wet when i go through a carwash. I'm wondering if this happens and if anyone has ever done anything to fix it. Thanks
Erik

Disco Dan

if we're talking about the fifth generation celicas, then yes, it's very easy for water to get on the speakers. There are two main ways it can get in:

1) On the inside face of the window. This assumes that there may be a small gap or gaps in the seal along the top where the window is supposed to be flush against the roof/front pillar rubber weatherstripping. If water is getting in there, it will most likely be miniscule, and you will never feel it in the car. The water will seep through the gap, and adhere to the inside face of the window, sliding down between the window and the window sill weather strip, and into the door itself. Once it gets to the bottom of the window glass, it will drip down, and if the placement is right, it'll drip right onto the speaker. Now unless there's an enormous gap there, the dripping won't be too much, and obviously only when it rains or you're at the carwash.

2) On the outside face of the window. This assumes that the outside face of the window may not be flush against the sill weather stripping, and water seeps in through the gaps there. Once there, it slides down the outside face of the glass (inside the door) and at the bottom of the glass, it drips down to wherever, possibly the speakers.

If you look carefully at the bottom of your doors, there are tiny holes at the front and back of the metal skin. Those are to allow water to drip out onto the ground if it accumulates there during a storm.

SO! In conclusion, check the seals along the top of the glass and along the top of the door where it hits the bottom of the glass. If water's getting into the doors, it will be getting in along one of those two spots.

D

RIalltrac

is the speaker mounted in the box for the normal 8 inch found in the system 10 package? If thats the case I would be willing to bet theres not a chance in hell water would ever get to the speaker. If you just cut a hole in the door and put the speaker in then ya, water could possibly get to the speaker.

EVcelica

I put it where the stock 8 inch speaker used to be. I used some wood to make an 8" circle with a 6.5 inch cutout. But I think I had to cut a little away to fit the magnet in there. I'm gonna get some .... what am I talkin about I'll probably never do it, I'm way to lazy. But way down the line I might consider putting those XTC foam baffle things behind the speakers. Thanks for the help guys.
Erik

celicat93

I think water does get in to the 8" when I replaced my stock speakers the foam surrounds were completely disintegrated, that's typical of water infiltration.

RIalltrac

celicat93":2vv7alb0 said:
I think water does get in to the 8" when I replaced my stock speakers the foam surrounds were completely disintegrated, that's typical of water infiltration.

stock speakers are paper cones right? was the cone destroyed as well? if not then water didnt get in there. That foam acts as a buffer between the speaker & the door panel. Over time its going to rub off. I highly doubt toyota would design a "premium" sound system that would get wet.

A

Anonymous

just take a look at the black plastic surrounds. That's the only thing that stands between your speaker and water that's dripped into the door shell. If there are no holes or gaps, then you're probably right, the speaker won't get wet.

D