Simple Wiring Question for System 10

Stubble

OK, I was digging around there just now, and I've figured out what most of the wires in those two plugs are for (although there are a few extras that I can't account for).

CalgaryGTS, You wouldn't happen to have the part number for the harness adapters would you? Is it one or two harnesses that I buy (there are two plugs - do I buy one harness for each plug?) Second, what did you do to get power, ground etc to the head unit? Or is that what the extra wires in those 2 harness plugs are for?

I do plan on getting a separate 2 channel amp to run the door subs, and now I know which wires I need to tie into.

daveryan

It appears to be Metra 70-1761 - a very generic harness used on virtually every Toyota standard stereo system. Here is one seller.

This gives you everything but sub speaker wiring - it includes head constant power, head ACC power, ground, antenna power up and of course the mids & tweeters.
Here you can see it's actually two plugs:

metrazw3.jpg

And here's my $50 new old stock Blau head unit from eBay:

headak7.jpg

BriinumsBo

hey there!
the stock unit is ok, but cd has lost its capacitors (low sound), i might repair them, but the cdrom is bad at reading discs and i need some "aux in" for mp3 player, so i`m getting a new head unit..

i`m not sure, but do the TWO PLUGS differ between 90 and 93 versions? i got some 2piece harness that fits these 2 plugs (from ebay), just didnt try them with another head unit. as i understand the plugs are "after amp" connection. you said "get new amp and wire it straight to the subs. and where will the amplifier get signal from? do i have to do any additional wiring from the new head unit to the new amplifier?

Toyota_Todd

I installed a '92 3-in-1 factory unit in my 90 alltrac by using a donor amp harness out of a 92-93 GTS. It was different in length and design, so I just cut off the original end that goes into the radio and replaced it with the end from the 92-93 amp harness. ALL OF THE COLORS MATCHED!!! It was a piece of cake and I would do it all over again. From this point you should be able to use the Metra kit for the 92-93 Celicas with system 10. Good luck.

CMS-GT4

I have heard if you get an aftermarket head unit some of the speakers quit working. Is this true? If so, how do you resolve it. Do you have to upgrade the amp as well?

BriinumsBo

the amp is only for 8" subs in the doors. others play straight outta original head unit. if you replace it with an aftermarket one, of course u lose the subs. . no idea how to rewire it, but its been done. anyway the sound from aftermarket head unit with any shitty sound processing will give better sound than the original unit with the subs included. but i threw the aftermarket unit in garbage as i hate to take the panel off every time i step outta car, i live in criminal country, original is not considered a demanded item :D

CMS-GT4

That is why I am installing an Alpine tape deck. Who would steal that. However it will control a hidden disc changer and ipod.

GT4_ever

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone could give me some advice on getting the door cards off. I can't seem to even budge them with all the visible screws out. Don't really want to break something!

Boo_Guy

BriinumsBo":1vu89enc said:
the amp is only for 8" subs in the doors. others play straight outta original head unit. if you replace it with an aftermarket one, of course u lose the subs. . no idea how to rewire it, but its been done.

The link to do this was posted above, http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showth ... rness-help You use a lexus integration harness. The stereo you are installing will need two sets of rca's to do it.

If you cant see the above link / arent a member of that site;

Metra 70-8112 is listed as TOYOTA AMPLIFIER INTEGRATION HARNESS 1992-UP. Compatible Vehicles: Lexus ES300 4DR Sedan 1992-1995. (But, it will work on the 1992-1993 Celica Sytem 10 and a few late manufactured 91's.

and

The same is true for BEST. Their part number is BHA-8112. Listed as 15 Pin Premium Sound w/RCA
1992-1999 Toyota.

I bought one off of ebay, although my car already has an aftermarket deck. I really hope the previous owner didnt butcher the wires to install it.

soarer.jzz30

I have recently bbought a single unit system ten deck and need to wire it to the 90 oem harness/amp... can anyone take a picture or know wherre one is of a 92-93 head unit plug so I can see where the wires go thanks! :D