First Day at the strip

CodingParadox

I went down to the dragstrip for the first time ever today, to see what I could do with the trac. My radiator had started leaking from the endtanks a few days ago, after a hose popped off on the dyno, so it was leaking. I quickly started having overheating issues, but I still got 4 runs in, then gave up due to overheating and not wanting to damage my motor. I went over to a friend's house and he gave me his old aftermarket GTS radiator, which is actually thicker than the stock AT radiator, so I'm using that for now. For the first time in a while, I seem to have no coolant leaks!

My best run was only a 13.5@105mph. Hmm. I'll take a pic of the timeslips later tonight. I should be at least a full second faster than that, and really should be more than that.

The track was cold, which didn't help traction - I also had too much air in the tires, which didn't help either, but that shouldn't have taken that much off my time. I still only trapped at 105mph, which is indicative of another problem elsewhere.

I'm running the HKS SSQV BOV, but I still had to mostly spool back up between shifts, even though I was shifting what I thought was pretty quickly. I'm gonna try switching back to the short shifter tonight, I think. I'm just wondering if the BOV isn't hooked up to a good enough spot to keep the turbo spooled at 24psi between shifts...

I'm also going to try to install a launch control cable today so I can keep my foot floored between shifts, as well as to help with launches.

Then I'll decide if I wanna go back and drag some more tomorrow. :)

klue

when something is spinning at 100k rpm, it tends to slow down pretty quickly. making 24 psi lol its not going to hold that for long without a large air flow, what does the boost drop down to after shifitin?

sleeper

if you have 392awhp you shuld be able to trap close to 120mph!
so either it`s something wrong with your car or you suck at driving! :)

CodingParadox

Conan":9kvvoh0n said:
I'd like to post my favorite:
Are you sure it was 392WHP not flywheel HP? :)

Yes. :p

The turbo was pretty much completely despooling between shifts, so I was shifting too slowly. In addition I was having overheating issues that I didn't notice until after a few runs, so it's possible I 1. my HG is now leaking, or 2. the EMS was pulling power+timing due to high coolant temps.

In any event, I hooked up the launch control cable, and have been playing around with using that. That should help a bunch for between shifts, as well as I'm gonna switch back to the short shifter.

Yeah, I know I should be closer to 120mph. :p

Celi-GT4

Keep working at it. Drag racig comes with practise. How are your 60fts? Try no to let off 2 much during shifts and let the clutch eat. I ran my times in Kansas with the stock GTS 2k tires on backwards so the tire issue should not kill you. It's the launch, if you run a 2.0 60ft and then run a 1.80 you will trap like 8 miles faster. Keep practicing, also what was you SAE corr on the dynojet?

CodingParadox

SAE corrected was the 392whp. Yeah my 60ft times were around 2.2, so I'm still working on that. Launch control should help.

Edit by KORacing: 392whp was with STD correction and in 2wd mode.

Griffin

That MPH is way low regardless - you should be in the 110s or 120s at least. Something else is wrong besides just the launch and shifting speed.

Celi-GT4

Coding I realize that is the sae corrrected, I am wondering what the correction factor was (ie .102 or 1.18 etc). By pulling a 1.8 60ft I bet you would see nearly .8sec of the ET.
Todd

CodingParadox

No, I was at woodburn, but the white supra was there.

The correction factor was only like 1.02. It was 389whp uncorrected and 392whp corrected.

SeanGTS

I still think you should of forgotten about the whole burn out thing. My instructions were pretty clear, to just a quick chirp in the beginning of the day to clean them off.

Next time, skip the AWD burnout, its killing your 60 foots.

SeanGTS

Not if your tires are overheated, it could create more problems. If I recall, didnt your 60 foots not break 2.2? Poopy for AWD.

furpo

it is very hard to overheat street tyres by doing a skid on the start line, you are more likley to overheat your clutch and get clutch slip. still sean is right there is not much point in doing a burn out on street tyres other that to get the trap water off them.

to give you some idea of what the gt4 (alltrac) will do, i cut a 1.82 60ft on a very slippery track. the only suspension mods are bigger wheels and tyres (215/45 R17). my car pushes 151 wkws. my car weights 1380kg without me in it.

i would guess you should cut a 1.7ish 60ft and should run a mid to low 12. since your engine was overheating i would say the ecu was dumping a hell of a lot of fuel in to try keep it cool. if it is still slow with the new radiator do a run with the data log turned on and compare it to the dyno data log.

roger

vip09

Your launch definitely needs working on.. I get 2.1 60's in my '01 celica gt-s with street tires. But there's definitely something else wrong there to be trapping 105mph.. that's WAY too low.