SRT-4

Road race, Auto X, or the Drag Strip

SRT-4

Postby TomsGT4 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:17 pm

So I punched it on the highway & he did the same & we were neck & neck from 90 to about 180kph.
I was following him onto the hwy & I think a Grand AM was trying to join in but we took off on him so fast he didn't know what happened. I saw his reaction for a second in the rearview... it was priceless.

Anyway, they run about a 14s quarter stock right?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by TomsGT4 on Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"

Postby omgitsroy326 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:32 pm

yes...

easy to mod and light... i think stock they're runin 17psi
FOR SALE>> CHECK FOR SALE FORUM (IS350)
omgitsroy326
Established Member

Postby TomsGT4 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:05 am

It's not a neon...
It's not a neon...
It's not a neon...

Anyway. They're a nice car.
Never ran against one before but I've seen under the hood.
Heh -I guess I'm just surprised how quick those things are with the 'ol Neon look.
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5

Postby CMS-GT4 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:13 am

Glad to hear you gave him a good run. They are ugly, but they are quick, and do pretty well for the $$.
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Mafix » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:40 am

they do and lucky for me i can hang or win quite well with a lightly modded one. st2 or lower. but 14's stock, most drivers can't get into the 13's with the stock tires tho.
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby fhalperformance » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:36 am

srt4's.... i dont know. ive heard alot of things about them. people cant get rid of them, chassis sucks, engine is great, ... anyone else hear anything like this?
'93 trac - V6TT project.
'92 trac - RHD conversion coming.
'91 trac - 564awhp.
'90 trac - fab car/snow build coming.
'91 mr2 - parting out.
'00 celica gts - custom wide body.
'01 mr2 - crazy build in progress.
'04 ducati 999
'04 tacoma TRD - for sale
fhalperformance
Club Member

Postby d1alltrac » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:30 am

simonsaysyousuck wrote:srt4's.... i dont know. ive heard alot of things about them. people cant get rid of them, chassis sucks, engine is great, ... anyone else hear anything like this?

the owners tell me exactly this....and the ARE neons
Patrick R.

88 ST165 x2
92 MR2 turbo
02 330i
d1alltrac
Established Member

Postby jjpetek » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:57 pm

We have a customer with one, with a 3" downpipe as the only mod it runs 13.5 sec. 1/4's all day. It is also one of the most tuned chassis/suspension combo's out of the box that you can buy in the sport compact range. It is a neon, and neons do have more racing development than all but a few of the compacts (Integra Type R, etc.)

Hey, I'm no mopar man, but these things are a pretty formidable package.
Club Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:24 pm

For two to three years, then you just throw them away. QC and build quality are their biggest flaw. That and fwd. I like the srt4 caliber more. These days I like the idea of my cars being able to carry stuff. If my business requires me to start hauling things around a srt4 caliber might be leased.

We do have something in common with then though.
One thing srt4 owners always got hell for is "Its not a neon, its a srt4."

I think we have been guilty of the same thing. "its not a celica, its an alltrac/gtfour."

Of course, unlike them, we donm't catch hell for it. We just get, "whats that?"
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby SeanGTS » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:16 pm

So I take it your not stock?

A stock alltrac would have a rough time trying to catch one on the freeway...
Master Swapper
SeanGTS
Club Member

Postby TomsGT4 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:54 pm

Not stock, & listed in my profile.

Yeah, if their quality is anything like the base build Neon I'd agree that we'd out handle them in the corners.
Maybe even with our stock suspension?
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5

Postby jjpetek » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:55 pm

I can promise you that a stock SRT-4 ACR will out handle every stock GT4 and most GT4's with just springs and a rear bar. These cars are tuned for racing in stock classes and have all of the compromises to go with it in terms of ride stiffness and general 'vibration'. The suspension is actually 'tuned' out of the box, plus has adjustable shocks and a rear sway bar that doesn't look like a brake line. I think we can all admit that gt4's are not 'tuned' out of the box. Go check them out on the autocross course or road race track. :doh:
Club Member

Postby Razzo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:58 pm

jjpetek wrote:I can promise you that a stock SRT-4 ACR will out handle every stock GT4 and most GT4's with just springs and a rear bar. These cars are tuned for racing in stock classes and have all of the compromises to go with it in terms of ride stiffness and general 'vibration'. The suspension is actually 'tuned' out of the box, plus has adjustable shocks and a rear sway bar that doesn't look like a brake line. I think we can all admit that gt4's are not 'tuned' out of the box. Go check them out on the autocross course or road race track. :doh:

maybe in a straightline buddy...but i highy highly doubt an str-4 can keep up with an allltrac in the turns. i don't give a f*** about suspension...you must be to stuiped, to realized we also have awd, which i have and gurantee we can beat, exp in autocross. so please keep your little bad car facts else where, suspenion is important..but on a little domestic fwd car...gooooood luck, i can go into cornors faster...and come out alot faster then you can with your little srt-4. lol stock tires barly work at keeping the srt-4 going. and don't give me that....its tuneable...gl with you srt-4, i laugh when i see them, cheap car....decent engine...dodge :shrug:
Razzo
Club Member

Postby jjpetek » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:30 pm

Wow, nice flame "buddy". Apparently the only thing comparable to your grammer is your ability to read. Check my profile album before you refer to my 'little SRT-4'. I guess I may be to 'stuiped' to understand why we can't all evaluate other marks accurately without feeling defensive. Do you sir, have direct experience in this matter? It turns out that that is what my 'little bad car facts' are based on.

Boy, forums are great sometimes.
Club Member

Postby turbo4wd » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:16 pm

jjpetek wrote:I think we can all admit that gt4's are not 'tuned' out of the box.

I beg to differ.. Perhaps you mean "able to be tuned from the factory" or maybe not.

Stacking them up against the handling standards of the time (late 80s early 90s) Alltracs held their own. I listed on another thread a while back the road test results from a 1990-1991 article for the 185. and I also listed the test results of a current STi and Evo 8 - the handling capabilities of the Alltrac was not far off from those two.. in fact they were impressive when you take into account Alltracs had much skinnier stock tires compared to STi's and Evo's.

Now if you add the effects of 15 years, worn bushings, tired suspension, etc, then sure.. compared to a brand spankin' new SRT4 off the showroom floor, not expecting to see a clear difference would be ignorant.
Dan
Undercover Moderator
turbo4wd
Established Member

Next

Return to Racing Chat