SRT-4

Road race, Auto X, or the Drag Strip

Postby hinkle » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:29 pm

i work with a 50 or so yr old enthusisat that owns a srt4. said that its some what fast but handles like poop.expessially in the rain. i also rode in one that was at the mopar "stage 2" upgrades and had a set of teins with the automated adjustments and sway bars. same deal went kinda fast, he was trying to impress me because i did the normal "its still a neon." (i didnt mention i rode in my boss's 427 camaro earlier that day,faster but handling still poop) but couldn't handle. that kid also wrecked it a few months later, on a turn. 13 seconds is fast i guess but for 20,000 (how ever much they are) think of what u can build and then 13 seconds turns into slow. then again evos are gettin into the low 20's. oh and i owned a plain jane 00 neon cuz i paid $300 for it...worst 300 i ever spent
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
06 LTR 450
hinkle
Club Member

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:06 pm

lets not start a pissing match guys. Everyone gets their own opinion.

Anyways, does anyone remember when SeanGTS was picking on the srt4 guys on their own message board? I remember, those where good times...
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby SeanGTS » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:22 am

Those fuckers are fast out of the box for under 15k, you get a potent buildable car that will work most, including alltracs. Best bang for your buck.

My buddy now has a Stage 3 SRT4 with a monter FMIC, the car is nut.

Those were the good ol days, I met some great people out of that and have hung out with them a few times.
Master Swapper
SeanGTS
Club Member

Postby Razzo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:17 am

jjpetek wrote:Wow, nice flame "buddy". Apparently the only thing comparable to your grammer is your ability to read. Check my profile album before you refer to my 'little SRT-4'. I guess I may be to 'stuiped' to understand why we can't all evaluate other marks accurately without feeling defensive. Do you sir, have direct experience in this matter? It turns out that that is what my 'little bad car facts' are based on.

Boy, forums are great sometimes.

Sorry i don't have the time to teach some neon freak about cars. Sorry I don't give a flying f*** if you have a 10 second neon...sorry srt-4...Sorry but i have driven one...and raced one around a track...but since your a fucken genious about car knowledge you must know....its got to be faster....o yea i beat the srt-4 by 4 seconds...o yea... a stock gt-four by the way...but of course your to smart.. lol love the srt-4 crew
Razzo
Club Member

Postby jjpetek » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:54 pm

Against all good judgement, I will continue this rediculous thread, purely for clarification.
1) If we go back to talking about handling, by out of the box 'tuned' I mean off of the factory floor capabilities. This is almost purely a matter of tires, roll stiffness, and shocks (and weight). SRT-4's come from the factory with more roll stiffness, better tires, and better shocks (and weigh less). Period. You don't need to put a rear sway bar on an SRT-4 to make it work, or much else for that matter. I don't mean alltrac's are not tuneable, if anything they are more tuneable than any neon.

2) I don't own a neon, and never will. I own more than one alltrac and have invested over $40k into the AMD ST165 because I believe it is (or can be) one of the most formidable cars on the road. I wouldn't be on this forum if I wasn't devoted to the mark. I am a CAR freak however, and don't excercise blind ignorance when evaluating performance.

3) Take a brand new completely stock alltrac up against a ACR SRT-4 and the alltrac will not outperform it. That is my point. Take that same alltrac against an STI or an EVO and its' not even close. That is my point. Take that alltrac, do turbo back exhaust, raise the boost, change the tires, change the bushings, add a rear sway bar, change the shocks and change the springs and it is an ENTIRELY different story.

Which is how I started this whole thing in the first place. If I had a ten second neon maybe I would give a flying f*** about it... :shrug:
Club Member

Postby saved_1992 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:36 pm

frickin canadians :roll: was the winter too long and you got brain freeze :lol:

please no cursing on the forum :P it is known that there are kids on here :wink:
mike
omaha,ne
1988 work in progresss (205 assem w/tdo6/haltech)sold
1988 a driver (RED) sold
1992 the keeper (RED)
1993 sold to 2of81 (RED)
saved_1992
Established Member

Postby TomsGT4 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:50 pm

saved_1992 wrote:frickin canadians :roll: was the winter too long and you got brain freeze :lol:

Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

saved_1992 wrote:please no cursing on the forum :P it is known that there are kids on here :wink:

Yeah agreed.
And, wow don't see too much flaming on the board.
For some reason it's funny when you're drunk... :evil:

I actually hadn't really driven my AT much in it's stock form.
So I really didn't get a feel for how it handles as such.
First thing that went in was the Whiteline bar, then Koni adjustables, poly bushings, solid mounts, etc...

The other day I out cornered him on the hwy on-ramp which is the only reason I pulled-up on him. After that we were matched for performance once we hit the straight-away. But I've upped the boost as well.

But I'm sorry, going to have to agree that given the difference in age the Alltrac is a better car, because where was the SRT-4 in 1988-1993?

It's like comparing the Alltrac when it first came out to something built in
the early 70's... :D

Know anything from the early 70's that can out corner a stock AT?
Even with *affordable* mods?
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"

Postby jjpetek » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:16 pm

well since you asked... I think they all came with hemi's though.

Cuda
Superbird
Dart
Challenger
Charger

:twisted:
Club Member

Postby TomsGT4 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:20 pm

I said "out-corner", not "out-run" in a straight line.
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"

Postby CMS-GT4 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:29 pm

Lets not get to aggressive over this. No need for name calling at all.
I hate magazine racing, but here are some handling facts about both cars.

This is the 1990 alltrac (left) vs the sti and evo

Curb Weight (lbs):----3272------------3240-------------------3270
Weight dist. (f/r):-----60/40-----------60/40------------------58/42
Wheelbase (in):-------99.4------------103.3-------------------100.0
Track (f/r in):---------58.3/56.9-------59.6/59.6--------------58.7/58.5
Height (in):------------50.4-------------57.1-------------------56.3
Length (in):------------174.0-----------178.5------------------173.8
Width (in):-------------68.7-------------69.7-------------------68.5
Steering Ratio:--------16.8:1----------13.0/1-----------------15.2/1
Tire Size:--------------215/60/15------235/45/17------------225/45/17

Performance

Braking 60-0 (ft)-----124---------------108-------------------111
Skidpad (g)-----------.87---------------.88--------------------.88
600ft Slalom (mph)--65.4--------------68.9------------------68.4

SRT4 info from motortrend. Same source as alltrac data.
Here are the specs of the srt4
Weight dist. 64/36
2921 lb
Braking, 60-0 mph
118 ft

600-foot slalom
65.9 mph avg

Lateral acceleration
0.88 g avg

FACTS
So it has 6ft of braking over the alltrac.
.5mph over the alltrac
.01 g over the alltrac.

So looking at the test data. Lets look at one other figure.
Tires.
They tested the srt4 on BFGoodrich g-Force T/AKDW. (Ultra High Performance tire)
NOTE: The T/AKDW put the 350z from a .89 g to over 1g with just sway bars.
The alltrac was tested on stock Dunlop sp2000 tires. (Sporty all season tire)
Put the alltrac on the same tires and I bet you it would be a drivers race as long as there were no straight aways for the srt4 to use its power to its advantage (stock for stock handling race).
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby jjpetek » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:54 pm

TomsGT4 wrote:I said "out-corner", not "out-run" in a straight line.

Dude, I really hope you didn't take that seriously.
Club Member

Postby turbo4wd » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:04 pm

*edited*

ok nm.. someone already posted what I was in the process of posting.. (so busy at work I start a response and dont get a chance to get back to it for 30-45 mins)

Thats the point I was trying to make.. That the 185 was no slouch in the handling category and that its stats were still on par with whats considered great handling today..
Dan
Undercover Moderator
turbo4wd
Established Member

Postby Razzo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:20 pm

jjpetek wrote:Against all good judgement, I will continue this rediculous thread, purely for clarification.
1) If we go back to talking about handling, by out of the box 'tuned' I mean off of the factory floor capabilities. This is almost purely a matter of tires, roll stiffness, and shocks (and weight). SRT-4's come from the factory with more roll stiffness, better tires, and better shocks (and weigh less). Period. You don't need to put a rear sway bar on an SRT-4 to make it work, or much else for that matter. I don't mean alltrac's are not tuneable, if anything they are more tuneable than any neon.

2) I don't own a neon, and never will. I own more than one alltrac and have invested over $40k into the AMD ST165 because I believe it is (or can be) one of the most formidable cars on the road. I wouldn't be on this forum if I wasn't devoted to the mark. I am a CAR freak however, and don't excercise blind ignorance when evaluating performance.

3) Take a brand new completely stock alltrac up against a ACR SRT-4 and the alltrac will not outperform it. That is my point. Take that same alltrac against an STI or an EVO and its' not even close. That is my point. Take that alltrac, do turbo back exhaust, raise the boost, change the tires, change the bushings, add a rear sway bar, change the shocks and change the springs and it is an ENTIRELY different story.

Which is how I started this whole thing in the first place. If I had a ten second neon maybe I would give a flying f*** about it... :shrug:

I don't care what you can try and prove or what....you spent 40K on a car...that you really have no idea....any 4wd/awd car will out cornor any fwd car, i don't care how stiff the suspension is...fwd is junk when it comes to fast cornoring/autoxing. I would figure since you own an alltrac you might know...but obviously you have no idea. 4wd is way more dominate in handling through cornors. And actually an alltrac is very close to an sti/evo, i know a 205 runs the same 1/4, but while i've already said i beat an srt-4 around the track...the sti was only 3-4 seconds better then me. And i must say you do excercise blind ignorance because 4wd is better then fwd for multiple reasons. Alltracs.....aren't that bad....for a 15 year old car it keeps on par with alot of 2000 cars. But since you must say the suspension is better....etc....you must be right, i just thought that you may realize how stuiped you sound. Fwd is economical.....there good in straightlines, but when it comes to cornors....thats where 4wd/awd will shine. A really good buddy of mine also owns a colbalt ss/sc, i know he will beat me in a straightline, but on track i will have him by miles.
Razzo
Club Member

Postby Razzo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:23 pm

turbo4wd wrote:*edited*

ok nm.. someone already posted what I was in the process of posting.. (so busy at work I start a response and dont get a chance to get back to it for 30-45 mins)

Thats the point I was trying to make.. That the 185 was no slouch in the handling category and that its stats were still on par with whats considered great handling today..

Thank you dan, someone here understands :D
Razzo
Club Member

Postby saved_1992 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:56 pm

well i know a guy whos friend knows a guy whos neon ran circles around a cousins built alltrac :shoots:

mopar forever :shock:

none of ya all know nothing :P
mike
omaha,ne
1988 work in progresss (205 assem w/tdo6/haltech)sold
1988 a driver (RED) sold
1992 the keeper (RED)
1993 sold to 2of81 (RED)
saved_1992
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to Racing Chat