Impala SS

Road race, Auto X, or the Drag Strip

Impala SS

Postby TomsGT4 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:03 am

I looked over, I'm on the right he's on the left.
He waves his hand down & sighs like "not even going to bother".

So I revved a little.
He says "ah, you got nothing"

So I say "what year is your Impala?"
He says '06

Lights change, I get a car length on him right off the bat & it looked like he had a good start.
Then he sat one car length back from 0-80mph up to top end of 3rd gear.

I let off because I know that if I give her in 4th I'll only risk getting myself in trouble. Heh, 120mph comes up real fast.

Tell me though, at that point, why is it when I let off the gas these rich kids blow by & wave "bye-bye" as if they just smoked me?

Eh well, I had a little fun :)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"

Postby alltracshoak » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:01 am

:D um, i guess they just thought that you was going for a 0-max speed race???
current:
90 st185
GT4 AWD
rip: 92 st185 @ 178k :(
alltracshoak
Gold Member

Postby jlspec » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:29 am

Those dumb racers are the one that you see on the news. They don't know when is it's over until they crash.
jlspec
Club Member

Re: Impala SS

Postby Conan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:49 am

TomsGT4 wrote:Tell me though, at that point, why is it when I let off the gas these rich kids blow by & wave "bye-bye" as if they just smoked me?

You should have hit the brakes as soon as you were done, make sure he sees the taillights ;)
When in doubt - increase boost.
Conan
Established Member

Postby SuperWhite92 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:19 am

Nice, but you should've walked him harder than that. Personally, I wouldn't even bother with an Impala of any sort, unless it's pre-80's and shaking at idle.
Shaun
My 1992 Alltrac is for sale again.
SuperWhite92
GTFour God

Postby TomsGT4 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:13 pm

Well Cops use them, and I'm pretty sure the new Impala SS's got some juice.
Am I wrong?
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5

Postby RafaCalde » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:43 am

i agree on tapping the brakes to let him know you were slowing down.
Rafa

1990 White ST185 w/ Carlos Sainz motor, ecu, and tranny
RafaCalde
Club Member

Postby SuperWhite92 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:33 am

TomsGT4 wrote:Well Cops use them, and I'm pretty sure the new Impala SS's got some juice.
Am I wrong?

Cop cars are slow. Even the State patrol Z28's only run high 14s here in colorado.
Shaun
SuperWhite92
GTFour God

Postby theUNYTEDone » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:21 am

SuperWhite92 wrote:
TomsGT4 wrote:Well Cops use them, and I'm pretty sure the new Impala SS's got some juice.
Am I wrong?

Cop cars are slow. Even the State patrol Z28's only run high 14s here in colorado.

well there's a camaro SS out here that was catching up to a street bike going 195 in 5th gear. i repeat, he was catching up....but anyway, i think throwing on your hazards woulda pissed him off more.

the new impalas look lame as hell. 303HP, woohoo... :roll: . nothing beat the old school ones or the big ass black ones (not sure of what year, i think 96 ish)...
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God

Postby SuperWhite92 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:37 am

theUNYTEDone wrote:
SuperWhite92 wrote:
Am I wrong?

well there's a camaro SS out here that was catching up to a street bike going 195 in 5th gear. i repeat, he was catching up....but anyway, i think throwing on your hazards woulda pissed him off more.

the new impalas look lame as hell. 303HP, woohoo... :roll: . nothing beat the old school ones or the big ass black ones (not sure of what year, i think 96 ish)...

You sure about that? It takes a hell of a lot more than just power to get a car to go 195, let alone doing it stable. FWIW, I just saw one of these Impala SS's from the Colorado State Patrol run last wednesday. Low 16's, depending on driver.
Shaun
SuperWhite92
GTFour God

Postby syko says » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:14 am

SuperWhite92 wrote:
theUNYTEDone wrote:
SuperWhite92 wrote:
Am I wrong?

You sure about that? It takes a hell of a lot more than just power to get a car to go 195, let alone doing it stable. FWIW, I just saw one of these Impala SS's from the Colorado State Patrol run last wednesday. Low 16's, depending on driver.

as me living in hawaii.. ive heard many stories about the camaro and the bike.. heard of 180 mph all the way to 195.. but nonetheless thats fucking fast no matter what. and that was just the black/ or really dark blue one.. theres also a white one (so ive heard) that can reach those speeds
Aloha,
Evan

RedCelicaTRD wrote:I've got my eye on you wise guy :|
syko says
Established Member

Postby TomsGT4 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:17 pm

OK but I checked just last night & an '06 Impala SS runs a 0-60 in 5.6s & a 14.1 quarter mile. IMO that's not bad.

As for cop cars up here I have seen an under cover Impala & camaro SS, Dodge Magnum (Hemi), Ford F150 Lightning, and a Charger R/T.
And that is just what I've seen!
I think it has something do do with the big 3's home right here in Windsor/Detroit.
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5

Postby EVcelica » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:33 pm

I work at security at a government site and we have the new impalas with the police package. 3.8 liter V6 SUPERCHARGED. I've yet to test them out because they are about a week old. I'll let you all know once they break in and I test them out a little.
Erik
red 90 st-185
ct-20b, 3" exhaust, custom intake, fmic,
"THE" system
2005 Scion Tc "release series 1.0"
EVcelica
Club Member

Postby theUNYTEDone » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:07 am

SuperWhite92 wrote:
theUNYTEDone wrote:
SuperWhite92 wrote:
Am I wrong?

what year SS, though? i'm dogging on the new ones...
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God

Postby SuperWhite92 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:21 pm

theUNYTEDone wrote:
SuperWhite92 wrote:
theUNYTEDone wrote:
SuperWhite92 wrote:
Am I wrong?

what year SS, though? i'm dogging on the new ones...

Yeah, the '06's Although the older models around here are even slower.
Shaun
SuperWhite92
GTFour God

Next

Return to Racing Chat