All-Trac vs. MR2 Turbo vs. Stage IV Cobalt SS S/C

db

I think he was implying that 20 psi off a big turbo isn't the same as 20 psi of a small turbo, in terms of power production.

Griffin

simonsaysyousuck":19bmbfdb said:
its 404whp on 93 pump gas. i just read a magazines that bashed the celica engine like it was junk. things as bulletproof as the 3sgte if you do it right.

Not entirely - the ring lands on the stock 2ZZ are much more sensitive to detonation. The bottom end is quite stout otherwise though and the head flows very well. Only drawback is the displacement

vip09

db":2me1yb6u said:
I think he was implying that 20 psi off a big turbo isn't the same as 20 psi of a small turbo, in terms of power production.

Yes, that's what I meant.. thanks :)

vip09

Griffin":g4i37fg3 said:
simonsaysyousuck":g4i37fg3 said:
its 404whp on 93 pump gas. i just read a magazines that bashed the celica engine like it was junk. things as bulletproof as the 3sgte if you do it right.

Not entirely - the ring lands on the stock 2ZZ are much more sensitive to detonation. The bottom end is quite stout otherwise though and the head flows very well. Only drawback is the displacement

True, but anyone that's going to be looking for power is going to be changing out the pistons/rods anyway. While you have the engine apart, go with the 1zz crank, etc.. that'll get you up to 2L. Well, actually around 1.98 I believe.

vip09

simonsaysyousuck":1a1esaaz said:
the 1zz crank gets it up to 1.93L i believe. you have to go trial for the 1.99L (?) displacement.

Yep, that sounds about right. I know the trial was supposed to be a true "2 liter".. around 1.99 or so.

Griffin

vip09":154h5j8w said:
True, but anyone that's going to be looking for power is going to be changing out the pistons/rods anyway. While you have the engine apart, go with the 1zz crank, etc.. that'll get you up to 2L. Well, actually around 1.98 I believe.

Yup - the only problem is you have to re-sleeve to change the pistons. The MMC bores don't work and play well with standard aftermarket pistons

My point is simply that its a bit pricey to build the bottom end, not by a hugemargin though.

toayoztan

To put this topic a little back on topic :D

Great video! It was nice seeing the back of your alltrac from the cobalt haha. It ALMOST sounded like at the end of the 2nd video the guy said "i had the wind...." and i will finish it with ..."ows rolled down." :p

Bryan

vip09

lol. Yeah, he thought he was going to walk on me pretty hard. He said his car was pulling timing from the high IAT's. We are having a rematch in the cold weather :)