mk3 supras and alltracs

gpmarzan

how does our cars compare to the mk3 supras, performance wise for both na and turbo? I know the na has 200hp, though i also know they are both quite heavy like ours. theres a few people around my campus that drives around in them that are also mildly tuned and im curious how they perform compare to our cars. i tried searching for past discussions but had no luck, and i apologize if i missed it.

db

Mk2 Supras are Celica Supras, which didn't come turbocharged in the US.

I'm assuming you mean the Mk3's then, the more squared, heavy ones.

The N/A's are probably pretty slow, but the turbo's are more in line with our performance. Might even beat us stock vs stock.

gpmarzan

db":34wbtun3 said:
Mk2 Supras are Celica Supras, which didn't come turbocharged in the US.

I'm assuming you mean the Mk3's then, the more squared, heavy ones.

The N/A's are probably pretty slow, but the turbo's are more in line with our performance. Might even beat us stock vs stock.

ahh..yea i meant the mk3s...i corrected the topic/post. :smokes:

edit. i found a few post relating the mk3s, but i guess it wouldnt hurt to talk about them again.

alltracshoak

i guess our car will be outperform in the the high end. my friend use to have an automatic one and he was running at 12 psi and so was I. he took me on the high end because he have a the bigger version ct26 on mk3 compare to ours that could hold boost at higher rpm.

edv-tek

Depends on what year the Supra is. Here is a great 0-60 and 1/4 chart which is fairly accurate.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/ ... times.html

The na supra in 88 is a dog; 7.9 0-60 and 16.0 in the quarter. But it most likely will run this time all day. It might be severely undertuned like our cars from the factory. The supra turbo is better at the 1-60 at 6.6 but not the 1/4 times at 15.2. That was fast for back then.

cardude

my friend and i ran my 165 and his mk3 both bone stock. we raced until about 100mph. from a stand still i pulled a couple cars on him then he caught up to about a car length behind me. from a 20 mph roll on which i launched poorly he pulled about 2 cars on my and held it till about 110.
i would say their performance is pretty similar to an alltrac.
except they have rwd :cry: :cry:

RafaCalde

stock for stock depends, the manuals would be on par if not slighty better than ours at the 1/4 mile. my friend has an automatic so right there i'm better than him, he could only do 16.1 bone stock.

Simba

Well, ignoring n/a and slushbox Supras, as should be a default concept: MkIII Turbos will nuke and pave an AT in just about every possibly way, mod for mod.

As with any AWD car, the AT has an edge from a dig, but it's toast before long, and certainly with any kind of highway roll or speed run.

However, that assumes that the Supra is in good shape and tune. A lot of kids buy them and beat the crap out of them, so, not all Supras are created equally.

gpmarzan

This guy, Nick, in my program just rebuilt his engine and had his ct26 upgraded to 50trim i believe. Our cars will prob see each other on the road one day when we go to our little field trips this yr.

Simba

gpmarzan":11c88h2h said:
...and had his ct26 upgraded to 50trim i believe.

That's pretty tiny for a Supra. The most common ct26 upgrade is a 60 trim, with some people going with a 57.

lumbercis

Stock or lightly modded I don't think there is much of a difference. The Supra has more power, but the MkIII's are even heavier pigs than the AT. They are at about 3500lbs to our 3200lbs. Should be a drivers race.

J.

CryoGoblin

my friend has a supra (mk3) stock to stock he beats me, same with his brothers jdm supra (1jz), and simba is right, mod for mod the car takes the AT hands down, especially since mods arent as expensive for their cars, plus the cars are inline 6 :S lol

CryoGoblin

my mk3 friend yes probably, but his brother with the 1jz, no, dont know if you know how much power the 1jz has stock? a lot more than our cars

db

Bah. Who cares about stock vs stock anyways? Most of us have some modifications done anyways. Just an exhaust system and a boost controller will do wonders on both vehicles. They do have an advantage with the bigger engine, but at some point he's going to need drag radials or slicks to get traction and even hope to keep up. There's a reason Supra owners prefer rolling starts. :D

Simba

lumbercis":apraltgs said:
The Supra has more power, but the MkIII's are even heavier pigs than the AT.

All Supras are heavy. However, they don't have a ~25-30% driveline loss through an AWD system, so the weight difference becomes pretty meaningless.

So far as practical races go, as I said, most mkiii's are owned by young kids who know jack, run 12+ pounds of boost on 87 octane gas, and then cry about how their head gasket blew. Well tuned mkiii's are very hard to come by, so if you run one on the road, chances whatever you come across isn't going to be as fast as it should be.

However, there are a few of them rolling around still that will surprise the hell out of just about anything.

jlspec

I believe stock MK3 supras are somewhere of 3700 lbs (meaning top of the line with progresive steering). Back in the days when it was release magazine article tested it with times of 14.9-15.1 quarter mile (1989 models). This meaning the lower model supra turbos with no abs, targa top etc would be slightly faster then 14.9-15.1 quarter mile times. 7MGTE power band is much better then our 3sgte from stock and modifiy engines.

Our alltrac stock run 15.3 (1990-1993) and 15.5 (1988-1989) quarter mile meaning were going to lose. The 7mgte also responds to mods much better then our engines.

Since I'm a fan of both, I'm going to tell you straight up your going to have a hard time keeping up with a well driven / smartly modded MKIII.

With just exhaust ( Divorced downpipe + 3" all the way back ), then can gain nearly 100rwhp ( VERY RESTRICTIVE exhaust ). With $2500 and a very good driver I've seen 12.1 slips.

Although, most MKIII owner's don't know jack about drag racing.

I would think since you guys are AWD and make decent power you could keep up, but generally you wouldn't be making the amount of power they do.

Simba

SupraOfDoom":1ro9nlqe said:
With just exhaust ( Divorced downpipe + 3" all the way back ), then can gain nearly 100rwhp ( VERY RESTRICTIVE exhaust ).

Uh, bullshit. They pick up around ~30 at the crank running 8-9 psi with "just" a 3" turbine back exhaust.

You're not going to pick up 130+ horse without a lot of boost, which neither the stock ct26 nor the stock intercooler like much, and a pile of other mods.

Simba":3me0jypc said:
SupraOfDoom":3me0jypc said:
With just exhaust ( Divorced downpipe + 3" all the way back ), then can gain nearly 100rwhp ( VERY RESTRICTIVE exhaust ).

Uh, bullshit. They pick up around ~30 at the crank running 8-9 psi with "just" a 3" turbine back exhaust.

You're not going to pick up 130+ horse without a lot of boost, which neither the stock ct26 nor the stock intercooler like much, and a pile of other mods.

You willing to bet money on it? :)

There is a DP for the MKIII on the stock turbo that gains 29 whp over a regular 3" dp ALONE for the MKIII. You might have a TT MKIV but that doesn't mean you know MKIII's....

I can show you RESULTS. It was tested awhile ago buy the guy who made the DP ( and he's very reputable. ). He made :
"Results with the stock CT26 Turbo
300 whp, 352 tq at 15 psi."