(ATTN: MODS)We need a new 1/4 mile database!

lumbercis

This is sort of to the Mods, but I thought I would post it up so others could comment.

I would like to see something done about the 1/4 mile database (or lack of one). Chris Dittrick has one on his personal site http://www.gtfour.ca/race.html but it looks like the last entry was sometime in 2004. So I don't know if he is still updating it, or if most people know about it. Ive seen a few threads lately with people posting new times, so there are people tracking their cars. But no record is being made of the newer times (and no bragging rights for those who are into that :smokes:) Anyway, I thought of a few options:

1. If Chris is still updating the site, then there needs to be a sticky in the Club Race section with a link and instructions on how to submit times.

2. If he's not updating anymore, and no one else wants to administer a page, maybe we can just make a simple sticky with the times and specs in plain text. People can just post, and then a mod can update the first post with whatever is submitted. Pics and vids would stay in the original post i guess. This seems to be what celicatech is doing.

3. See if mr2oc will let us post alltrac times in their database. This is a long shot, since the mod probably doesn't want to create a new field for "chassis", especially for a small handfull of alltrac entries, but its worth a shot. I like this option just because they have a well run, updated database. I also think the fact that its an active list may encourage people to get out to the track more.

Sub-issue: whatever we do, we should consider maybe having one database for us and celicatech, and maybe 6gc if they want. So we would have N/As and swaps in there as well. Benefits=larger community, more posting, more fun! Drawbacks: maybe confusing with all the different chassis and engine combos.

Suggestion: If we keep it an "all GT-Four" database, we should go on all the UK sites and other country's sites and encourage them to post to our database (a good reason to have the database on a separate site) so we get a good cross-section of times and have a nice active community.

Well, those are my thoughts. What do you say?

J.

ChrisD

Yes I am still updating gtfour.ca. There aren't too many new entries in a long while. I could be better at advertising this though. Just this week I made the decision to renew my hosting package and domain. I had to think about this because the site currently generates zero revenues and everything I do is out of pocket.

I have also been slowly working on a site redesign as I have learned a lot about the web since originally building the site. It's mostly in my spare time though, which is very limited.

I should put some time into the new site and then go out and advertise it out there.

If anyone would like to submit their time slips to me, email me at chris_dittrick@yahoo.ca and I will definitely have you added.

Thanks J

:)

Sifu

Well I can make a seperate page on my website for timeslips if anyone is interested as well. I've got plenty of space and as long as the traffic isn't nearly as hectic as MR2OC my provider shouldn't crap their pants.

Klas

lumbercis":wgbq78zq said:
1. If Chris is still updating the site, then there needs to be a sticky in the Club Race section with a link and instructions on how to submit times.

This is a great idea! I totaly agree.

Denver_whiteST185

You should pm robert to see if he'll add a 1/4 mile page. If you want to make a sticky in club race, start the thread and pm me with a link and ill take care of it.

lumbercis

I'll get on this when I get a chance. I have school exams right now. I wanted to do some research on some other 1/4 mile databases to see what a good format might be. BTW, if Chris is still willing to manage the World Race page, I say we stick with that. He's done a good job on that page. Feel free to suggest any changes you might want to see.

MODS: The link on the first intro page of alltrac.net (the black background) goes to the race forum, not Chris' world race page. Can we get it to link to Chris' page?

J.

turbo4wd

lumbercis":3myric1g said:
MODS: The link on the first intro page of alltrac.net (the black background) goes to the race forum, not Chris' world race page. Can we get it to link to Chris' page?

J.

Only Rob can edit the links - PM him and ask him about it.