Just Began in lapping... any tips to keep my DD in shape?

Road race, Auto X, or the Drag Strip

Postby WideFNopen » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:57 pm

I would try to rig up a brake cooling system. Out on track they are really effective because of the high speeds and constant airflow. If you want to do it cheap run dryer ducting that is about 3 inches and then neck it down to a wetvac attachment that blows air on the back of the caliper where the fluid is contained.

Also try and see how compact you can make your braking zones to maximize the amount of time off the brakes. The time off the brakes is really important to avoid heat-creep in the brakes. Everytime you hit the brakes it flash heats the caliper and the cooler they are before the flash the cooler after the flash. Basically, right now your brakes need too much recovery time to cool down before the next flash (your next braking zone).

I also think that the HPS pads might be a problem. They have a bit less friction coeficent which will increase you braking zones which = hotter calipers. Performance friction makes some killer pads but they wont bite cold which makes them sketchy for street duty. You may even end up having to left foot the brakes for a hundred yards or so if coming off a long straight to heat them up before your braking zone with the brake cooling installed.

Finally, be carefull not to out pad your tires. If you get too aggressive of a pad for a street duty tire you might end up smoking the tires on the brakes, especially the rear ones. Consider getting a different set of pads/rotors/tires-rims for the track and you wont regret it.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
https://www.facebook.com/peakcityrally

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/1-12-2015/ZMp5Gn.gif
WideFNopen
Club Member

Postby camry90 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:07 pm

thank you for the advice
camry90
Club Member

Previous

Return to Racing Chat